Sign in to follow this  
indalo

Facelift/mark2 Time?

As I never read any of Hyundai's press material, I might have missed it but I'm thinking that the i40 is about due a mid-term facelift or a Mark 2 version. 

The current model has been with us for nearly four years since its press release and that's about the point where manufacturers usually feel a need to refresh the car and more importantly, re-advertise the model using expressions like 'new and improved/uprated/5% better economy/reduced CO2' etc.

Some of Hyundai's model alignment manoeuvres baffle me and cause me to wonder whether they will actually continue producing the i40.  If I understand correctly, the i40 will soon be offered with diesel only and Blue Drive will be the only option.  I'm happy to be corrected if I have got that wrong but if it's true, I worry that they will subsequently just drop the model.  I haven't seen any figures but I remember reading shortly after launch that they had a target of 100,000 unit sales in the UK by 2015.  As they have failed to make major inroads into the fleet market, I would doubt very much if they are anywhere near being on track for that aspirational figure put out at launch.

The car got very close to the best in its class when it was introduced and it wouldn't take a great deal to improve it further, making it a genuine contender. Unfortunately, the costs involved might disadvantage the model's price benefit over its rivals, hardly improving its chances of increased sales.

As a used car purchase, the i40 with remaining warranty seems like an outstanding bargain to me and I'd recommend it to anyone.  It really isn't as nice to drive as the premium cars from Germany but it's a whole lot of car for the money nonetheless.  At three to four years old, it's a better proposition than the Mondeo or Mazda on account of that long warranty although each of those is a nicer drive, certainly in their more powerful examples.  The Kia Optima seems to be failing miserably to capture the public's imagination, even with a 7-year warranty so I'm not particularly confident that either branch of the company will persevere with a large saloon/estate, (saloon only in the case of the Optima).

Both Kia and Hyundai have done very well with their ranges of hatchback and soft-roader models so the bean counters will determine future model line-ups and I shall be interested to see where they go from here.

Anybody got any insight into a refreshed i40 arriving any time soon?

Indalo

I think that the new ix25 will be put to the market first, the i10, 20, 30, ix35 and Santa Fe have all been facelifted or new models released, the ix20 is slightly older than the i40 so would be due a facelift first, but it does seem tardy, the FD i30 was facelifted after 3 years as were the 10 and 20 so who knows???

I'm surprised how badly the Optima has sold in the UK.  I do think this is one of the best looking cars around.  Kia have well and truly cracked the small 4x4 sector with the Sportage, which again has the looks.

For me, personally, it's the package that sells the car in this sector. Not all people who drive their cars for work have company owned vehicles. The 5 year unlimited mileage warranty and 20k service interval were 2 of the reasons I chose the i40. If I hadn't been doing 40k miles a year, but say 12k (like any normal person!) I might well be driving a Kia...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I agree with Matt, I think the MK2 Ceed is a much better looking car than the new i30, my only issue with Kia is the cabins look a bit late 80's early '90's, quite black and plain.  Mind you that hasn't harmed VW.......