Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Hyundai I40 Clutch Fault In Australia

hello i40 owners

Thought I would share the misery that is my 2012 Hyundai VF i40 Active 2 litre petrol manual wagon.

I bought this car in March 2014 from an interstate Hyundai Dealer, Woodleys, in Tamworth, New South Wales. I live in Melbourne Victoria, but used Woodleys' website to find the car, as manual wagons are difficult to find in Australia.

The car is 2 years old, cost $20,500, has travelled 50,000kms, was a 1 owner and has a complete Hyundai dealer service history. I have travelled 500kms in the car over 6 weeks. The air conditioning has never worked, and I found the gearchange very difficult, especially trying to select first gear, even when warmed up. All gears are very difficult to select when cold.

It took me a few weeks to realise it was not me needing to get use to the gearchange. I had read on this forum the gearchange is not brilliant on the i40. I have been spoilt by my previous 2006 Holden (Opel) Astra.

I took the car to Melbourne City Hyundai on Monday 12th May. They found there was no air conditioning gas, so there must be a leak. They also found the clutch release bearing needs replacing, and has been rubbing on the clutch housing. They say the clutch housing is marked, and needs to be replaced, and is a manufacturing fault. On Friday 16th May they submitted a Prior Work Approval claim to Hyundai Australia. The Hyundai Australia warranty department are assessing the warranty claim. No one will tell me how long the warranty claim approval decision will take.

If Hyundai Australia reject the claim, the car is covered by the 3 month/5,000km Statutory Used Car Warranty from Woodleys. Woodleys will not supply me a loan car, and deny any knowledge of the clutch and air conditioning faults when they sold me the car.

Hyundai Australia may supply a loan car if the warranty claim is approved and if the parts supply are delayed. The clutch housing will need to be ordered from South Korea. No one can tell me how long the clutch housing will take to get to Australia.

My family only has this car, so having it off the road is a big deal for me.

Before buying the car, I checked the photos and information on the Woodleys website, checked the registration history, and spoke to the Woodleys car salesman. But I did not test drive the car, so I had to trust what Woodleys told me. Never again.

Gerard

Hi Gerard

I can't see how Hyundai could reject your warranty claim when the Internet is full of customers with the same problem.

The clutch/gear change on this model is totally shocking and Hyundai need to address this very quickly as more and more complaints emerge. You have to take your hat off to Toyota when they identify a problem they issue a recall to nip the problem in the bud and surveys have showed that here in the UK it actually makes customers feel more satisfied and confident with the brand.

My i40 is my first Hyundai and likely to be my last as my car has only done 1000 miles.

The gear shift spoils the driving experience and is already starting to annoy me.

Always been a fleet driver so managed to live with at one time or another most of the main stream manufactures.

Annual mileage ranging from 25k to 40k. Currently doing 25k hence decided to try Hyundai and save a few £££s as don't spend hour after hour in the vehicle no need to pay top $$$.

Think you have point well made with the Hyundai marketing ploy but its driver like myself they need to win round not put off who buys a new car every 3 years and their current directive will be doing the opposite to the many fleet drivers out there like me.

There are 900 fleet cars in my company with approx 700 grey fleet.

In the 700 grey fleet there are only 3 i40's and 2 ix35. The early takers are spreading the word and turning other potential grey fleet buyer off who ultimately turn to BMW,VW,Toyota and Ford.

The other 200 official company cars are all Vauxhall.

An update!

Hyundai Australia have approved the warranty claim. The clutch housing is estimated to arrive in Australia from Korea in 12 days.

After complaints and trantrums by me, Hyundai Australia have agreed to hire me an Avis rental car from tomorrow for 2 weeks. So on 2nd June, we will see if my car is fixed. I will update again then.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their ownership experiences - good and bad.

Gerard

An update!

Hyundai Australia have approved the warranty claim. The clutch housing is estimated to arrive in Australia from Korea in 12 days.

After complaints and trantrums by me, Hyundai Australia have agreed to hire me an Avis rental car from tomorrow for 2 weeks. So on 2nd June, we will see if my car is fixed. I will update again then.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their ownership experiences - good and bad.

Gerard

That sounds like a result to me Gerard!  It was worth the hassle after all, it seems.

Indalo

Gerard

I have just had my clutch replaced. My i40 Style 136 Blue Drive with 10,000 had a shocking gear change across all the gears. Initially they replaced the slave cylinder but in the end changed the whole clutch.

From 2nd to 6th gear the difference with the new clutch is marked but 1st gear still remains slightly "sticky", I can however live with it. I was given a hire car for a couple of weeks that both myself and my wife were insured on but when you pick up your hire car have a look at the excess. Mine was £800 Scottish pounds. After a wee phone call to Hyundai they paid the extra on the daily hire of the car and reduced the excess to £250.

I am sure you will see a massive difference in the car.

M... 

Another update - or not!

My car has been with Melbourne City Hyundai dealership since 12th May with clutch and air conditioning problems. It is still at the dealers, with no repair date known.

I have kept in contact with Hyundai Australia Customer Service. They have been renewing the rental period of my Avis loan car weekly. At first there were weekly arguments, but last week they renewed it indefinitely. I do acknowledge that Hyundai Australia are not obliged to supply me with a loan car as part of Warranty repairs. I am getting use to my Holden Cruze SRi auto sedan loan car!

From what I have been told, it is taking Hyundai Australia Technical Department and the Hyundai dealer a long time to figure out what parts are needed in the process of replacing the clutch release bearing and clutch housing. I think there has been an issue of parts only being available as part of a complete assembly. Also confusion on the correct part numbers.

I also do not know what priority my car is being given at Melbourne City Hyundai.

The stress of it all has meant that as long as I have a loan car to use (even if it is a sedan and I need a wagon), I will leave them to it. As a customer, it is hard to know who to believe, between the dealer who sold me the faulty used car (Woodleys Hyundai Tamworth NSW), the servicing dealer (Melbourne City Hyundai), Hyundai Australia Customer Service, Hyundai Australia Technical Department and Hyundai Korea. The Hyundai Australia Customer Service bloke is now escalating my case to the 'Hyundai Regional Area guys' to get the repairs done. I don't think Hyundai parties involved trust or communicate with each other!

My brother in law just bought a new Hyundai i30 petrol auto. Its a top seller in Australia (2,553 sold in May 2014), and I would hope Hyundai Australia know more about servicing the car.

Its seems there is no experience or knowledge in Australia to service a manual Hyundai i40.

Thanks to this forum, and the opportunity to unload my i40 experience downunder! I will update again soon.

cheers

Gerard

Another Update!

My petrol manual i40 wagon with 50k is back! It had been off the road since 12th May with clutch problems. It now has many new clutch and gearbox parts and drives like a car, as opposed to a truck. Its almost sporty! The air conditioning gas leak has been fixed too. I have nothing to complain about now. Except it took over 2 months to be fixed.....

Gerard

I have nothing to complain about now. Except it took over 2 months to be fixed.....

Well, it is about a 16 day sail from S. Korea down to Melbourne so obviously when you take account of an exchange of corporate emails, maybe a couple of phone calls plus the warehouseman's time to locate parts, etc, it pretty soon adds up to two months off the road.  Of course, if they shipped parts by air, it's about an 11-hour flight but curiously, it still adds up to two months off the road.

I'm afraid Hyundai continue to make it patently clear, they don't give a hsit about customers after the point of sale.  

Indalo