Welcome to TalkHyundai.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sat Nav (Again)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Glenfern

Glenfern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:none yet
Have any of you had a similar conversation with your Sat Nav (SN) like this recent one I had?

Me: Right, I'm in Falmouth and I need to go to this address in Plymouth.

SN: Ok, no bother that's what I'm here for, that'll be 13.30 arrival time.

Me: Hmm, seems a bit long but hey, it's your purpose in life and the very reason you have been installed in my lovely new car.

Off we go and I'm getting more and more disturbed.

Me: Why have you taken me off the A38 and sent me north?

SN: Just leave this to me sir, I know what I'm doing.

Me: I doubt that very much, I'm going this way (turns back to signposts to A38)

SN: You are going the wrong way sir, if you carry on this way it'll take you longer.

Me: I AM GOING THIS WAY, DEAL WITH IT! NOW GIVE ME A NEW ROUTE!!!

SN: OK, if you insist.... Right going this way I can now get you there for 12.30

Me: *&%$£"!()*&^%&*^%%$$$$£ !!! Thank you.

It has happened several times where I think that's not the quickest! and I do my own thing. Is there an update for this? and is it called buying a Tom Tom?

AnimalMother

AnimalMother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Garage View Garage
My money would be on operator error.

Glenfern

Glenfern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Nope, even when going home it wants me to stay on the motorway an extra junction which always takes longer. I never had this trouble with the Tom Tom.

Tebba45

Tebba45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:I40 Style Saloon
Yes i have had this happen on many occasions too, very odd ????

AnimalMother

AnimalMother

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Garage View Garage
What sort of route selection did you make (shortest, fastest etc)?

Tebba45

Tebba45

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:I40 Style Saloon

What sort of route selection did you make (shortest, fastest etc)?

I always choose fastest and it does send you on some very strange routes, if i set my garmin up and have them running back to back the garmin chooses the route that i would normally take whilst the car sat nav sends you on a full guided tour....lol

Glenfern

Glenfern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
What he said,

Also when travelling from Swindon to Falmouth the Tom Tom gives a eta which is about right and the car sat nav predicts a time which is 40mins longer and then gradually comes in as I get closer.

I only have the fastest route selected, not much point in anything else for me, the choice of route function isn't one that I need.

NickD

NickD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hiya

I certainly would not recommend a Tom Tom over the installed Navtec system. I have owned two of the latter (top and bottom end units) and they are inferior in a number of respects in my view (and yes I know they permit full post code input). Each (and the Honda Navtec unit in a previous car) occasionally has a brain fart...I tend to be highly suspicious of any sat nav route suggested. I have certainly seen the Hyundai unit regularly overestimate journey times then improve them as the early journey progresses, but bear in mind that no journey will ever fully conform to the defaults set in the unit.

highandry

highandry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Mine works fine in town but if you want: Rose Cottage, Piddling-in-the-brook, Sussex, + Post Code it will not get you there. Tom Tom works every time.

indalo

indalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Non Blue 1.7CRDi 136
  • My Fuel Logs
Garage View Garage
It's gone very quiet about the "negotiations" between Hyundai and Navteq over the discount the Hyundai people were seeking for owners wishing to update to the 2013 maps including 7-digit postcode ability.

Has anybody heard anything....perhaps from their local, friendly dealer?

Indalo

MJB1234

MJB1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 premiun blue

POPULAR

Response from Hyundai today after e mail to Hyundai's CEO, I followed this up with another direct e mail to Tony Whitehorn,(Tony.Whitehorn@hyundai-car.co.uk) he replied in person with promise of a full response shortly.

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:38:56 +0000
>
>
>
>
> Dear Mr
>
> Thank you for your further correspondence, Mr Whitehorn has forwarded it to us in customer services so we can monitor and respond.
>
> I appreciate you have been waiting for some time for our official position and I just wanted to touch base with you and say that we too are still waiting. Please be assured as soon as this information is available to us I will be in contact again, thank you for your patience during this time.
>
> Once we have the official position of how Hyundai Motor UK Ltd are going to be moving forward with regards to mapping updates, I will then return to your case and send a detailed reply. Your case reference for any future communication is
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Gary Smart
> Senior Case Manager
> Hyundai Motor UK Ltd

indalo

indalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Non Blue 1.7CRDi 136
  • My Fuel Logs
Garage View Garage

POPULAR

Thanks for that full and informative, (not!) update from Hyundai UK, MJB.

Given the style of prose used in Mr Smart's response to you, I have no doubt that the gentleman has attended all the training seminars delivered by chinless wonders equipped with flip chart, OHP, projection screen, laser pointer and a bunch of handouts including a feedback survey.

I can hardly contain myself waiting for the detailed reply once things have moved forward. ^_^

I'm off now to touch base with the local Marston's eatery.

Indalo

triopowell

triopowell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 Tourer Premium
Garage View Garage

Hope you don't mind MJB1234, but I have grabbed this and posted on the Hyundai UK Facebook page under one of my existing threads.

Response from Hyundai today after e mail to Hyundai's CEO, I followed this up with another direct e mail to Tony Whitehorn,(Tony.Whitehorn@hyundai-car.co.uk) he replied in person with promise of a full response shortly.

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:38:56 +0000
>
>
>
>
> Dear Mr
>
> Thank you for your further correspondence, Mr Whitehorn has forwarded it to us in customer services so we can monitor and respond.
>
> I appreciate you have been waiting for some time for our official position and I just wanted to touch base with you and say that we too are still waiting. Please be assured as soon as this information is available to us I will be in contact again, thank you for your patience during this time.
>
> Once we have the official position of how Hyundai Motor UK Ltd are going to be moving forward with regards to mapping updates, I will then return to your case and send a detailed reply. Your case reference for any future communication is
>
> Yours sincerely
>
> Gary Smart
> Senior Case Manager
> Hyundai Motor UK Ltd

I really can't believe they are letting this go one for so long, I am at a complete loss as to how they think that leaving it to drag out for this long is of benefit to anyone.

MJB1234

MJB1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

POPULAR

dont mind at all, will up date you today if I hear anything -

hyundai72

hyundai72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 style

Intresting reading this satnav thread,just took delivery of my i40 and for the life of me I cant understand why I cant just enter a postcode into satnav.

Am I doing something stupid???

MJB1234

MJB1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Could you put a link to the thread on facebook as I couldnt find it

MJB1234

MJB1234

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
enter the postcode into the city section should work then.

triopowell

triopowell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Garage View Garage

Promising news from the Hyundai Facebook page:

Hyundai Media Unit Upgrade Information
by Hyundai UK (Notes) on Tuesday, 26 March 2013 at 14:18
We know there has been a lot on interest regarding updates to our factory fitted Sat Nav units. Following extended negotiations with our navigation data supplier, we are delighted to announce that we will shortly be launching the Hyundai Media Unit Upgrade Programme.

This programme allows owners of Hyundai vehicles in the UK with factory fitted navigation systems to take advantage of a series of map upgrades. The first upgrade available on the programme is the 2013 Europe (including UK) Map which includes a 7 digit postcode search function. Subsequent updates to the programme will then be available in 2014, 2015 and 2016. (4 in total)

The Hyundai Media Unit Upgrade Programme is fulfilled through the Hyundai dealer network and each installation takes approximately 1 hour to complete with new maps released in the last quarter of each year.

The programme carries a one-off setup and installation charge of £89 inclusive and is fully transferable to any new owner. No physical product is supplied and installation takes place using a dealer based Service Toolkit.

The programme is currently being set up for the UK market and will be available to join in 4 6 weeks. A further announcement will be made at that time.

Single map updates remain available to purchase directly from Navteqs web store and are priced at approximately £140.

As stated above, we will bring you more details once the programme has been set up.

triopowell

triopowell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Garage View Garage

I can't find an easy way of getting a direct link, but if you go here: https://www.facebook...ndaiuk?filter=2 you should be able to see all of the posts made by people, scroll down and there are a few Sat Nav related bits.

Could you put a link to the thread on facebook as I couldnt find it

hyundai72

hyundai72

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 style

enter the postcode into the city section should work then.

Thanksfor your help will start doing that.
A lot easier....