Welcome to TalkHyundai.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Satnav/media System Software 6.8.e Update How To.

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

bumpkin

bumpkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 1.6 Style.
  • My Fuel Logs

POPULAR

There has been a lot of discussion about the software/firmware update available for Hyundai media systems spread across a few threads, I have preformed the update on my own i40 and a friends ix35 and I am responding to the request for a step by step guide. If the mods feel it appropriate it might be useful as a sticky.

1. Go to http://www.navigatio...yundaiEMEA-Site and select your car from the drop down boxes on the left.

2. This will take you to the update page for your vehicle. Scroll down the page and in the bottom left you will see a link for the software/firmware update. Click on it.

3. The instructions will appear in front of you along with the download link. You must ensure that your current software is 5.1.3 in order to proceed, if it is a version lower than that then you need to get your Hyundai dealer to get to at least 5.1.3. To check your current version press and hold the settings button on the media system for at least 5 secs, the display will then show current versions.

4. If you have defined that you are suitable for an update then click on the download link and when prompted save it to your PC. Ensure that you have an empty USB thumb drive at least 1GB in size to put the file on.

5. Unzip the contents of the downloaded file directly to the root directory of the thumb drive.

6. Start up the engine of your Hyundai and insert the thumb drive into the USB port. It will read and automatically start the program. Follow the instructions on the display of your Hyundai screen.

7. The initial installation of files is reasonably quick, then it will go I to decompression of a 1.42Gb file which takes a good 15 minutes, this is helped though by the fact that at least the radio still works giving you something to listen to whilst the install proceeds! After decompression another section of install takes place which again is reasonably quick. AT NO POINT IN THE INSTALL PROCESS SHOULD YOU SWITCH OFF THE ENGINE OR REMOVE THE USB DRIVE!!!

8. The media system will then restart, so the screen will go black and then the Hyundai logo will re-appear, the system though will go back not the installation procedure because you will still have the thumb drive inserted in the USB port. The same update screen you will have seen previously will appear, but the current version and update version will be the same number, indicating that the update process has worked.

9. Press CANCEL on the touchscreen and you will be returned to the media screen you were previously on, so radio, bluetooth or GPS. By pressing the settings button then pressing TRAFFIC on the touchscreen you should now see that TMC is available, give the system time to get the latest traffic data through the FM antenna.
My i40 is called Blackhawk, what's your Hyundai called?

Evrag

Evrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 Tourer Style
Thanks for this bumpkin. Since I am currently driving my local dealers demonstrator i40 I'll leave this to him. I asked him if he knew about this upgrade but as expected, it was news to him.

He did tell me however that the new model 2012 Santa fe has full 7 digit postcode entry though, so maybe we'll see this as an upgrade eventually....

romeo13

romeo13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 1.7 premium
When i go to the update page it wont show me the software is available all i get is "our records show you have the most up to date software" have they pulled the plug on it and is dealer only now or possibility wanting paid for it?

romeo13

romeo13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 1.7 premium
Oops my bad got it now..thanks

redadair

redadair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 1.7 CRDTi
Hi bumpkin,

I have a problem with this, although my i40 is a 2012 plate but i suspect is manufactured / built last year.

When I click on your link, I select (on the left hand panel)
#1 Model = i40, Year = 2011
#2 Model = i40, Year = 2012

Both times I get the following message - ie nothing to download

Our records indicate you have the most recent map update for your vehicle.

To be informed when a new version becomes available, complete your details in the Contact Us page.

How do I get around this issue? Cheers! Red.
My settings are as follows:

System version: 6.1.6
Bluetooth: 2.6.9
Nav version: 2011.05.13
Map database version: 310E7AI
Firmware version: 5.1.4_VF(19)

What have you got after the update?

redadair

redadair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 1.7 CRDTi
Ok after a bit of faffing about I found this page and eventually got the zip file. cheers!

http://www.navigatio...ge=SupportPage5

Will update the version info wen I install later. Cheers again! Red!

bumpkin

bumpkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • My Fuel Logs

POPULAR

There is no faffing required folks, it states in the how to navigate to the bottom left of the page and click on software update (instruction 2)

:D

Brandles

Brandles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:I40 1.7crdi premium
Garage View Garage
in case this helps anyone i have updated the software on my 2011 i40 tourer premium it now shows

system ver 6.8e
BT ver 3.0.7
Nav ver 2012/09/01
Map ver 310E7A1
Firmware ver 5.5.2_vf_wa

bollard

bollard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:I40 style 136 bd
Brandles It doesn't look like the MAP VER gets an upgrade ?

Great News. that we can update everything else though !

Question . What does the update do ? Just upgrade the TMC alerts etc for the sat nav.
I was told by the dealer that it would upgrade bluetooth quality and connectivity also The MAP !!!! ???
Anyone any info ?
I'm going to do the upgrade and still let the dealer inform me of their software upgrade just in case it contains more .
Will keep you posted

Oh just to add think firmware is coming from the east and is very sllloooowwwww.... i have over 50mb broadband eta 30mins !!!

My settings are as follows:

System version: 6.1.6
Bluetooth: 2.6.9
Nav version: 2011.05.13
Map database version: 310E7AI
Firmware version: 5.1.4_VF(19)

bumpkin

bumpkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • My Fuel Logs
This only updates the software and firmware, so Bluetooth connectivity and traffic updates etc (those with voice recognition issues at speed may find this improves the quality?). Any confirmation or otherwise would be appreciated, maps are not updated and most late 11 and 12 cars will have the latest maps. Updates to maps will be a cost option when available, looks like €160 per update.

AlvinRussell

AlvinRussell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 Style Tourer
Garage View Garage
Superb, cheers for the guide fella, 785mb... download in 20min....

when reading on and you say "start the car".... does that mean running it for the 15min it takes to load into the system.......

Alvin

bumpkin

bumpkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • My Fuel Logs
Yes, afraid so, you may have noticed that you get the low battery alert quite quickly if listening to the radio without the engine running, you dont want to run out of juice during a firmware install!

bollard

bollard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:I40 style 136 bd
Right it's done one important thing to note; USB stick must be formatted in FAT not FAT32 !
The upgrade is in complete although so far Traffic seems a bit poor , comparing to a skoda I borrowed its not showing the traffic on the route when you have the three choices blue red green ?
Am I doing something wrong or missing a setting somewhere?

NickD

NickD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Bumpkin, this is excellent, thanks. Will let everyone know how mine proceeds.

Evrag

Evrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 Tourer Style
Just been informed today by my dealer that when my car arrives (December) this TMC software upgrade, if needed, will be part of the PDI.

He has also said that there is a Sat Nav Map upgrade that will enable Full Postcode entry. All cars built from September should have it, and if mine doesn't, it will be updated, again, as part of the PDI.

Not sure if this means it is a free upgrade to older sat nav models, it may be chargeable, but it should at least be available.

NickD

NickD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
mmmm, tried last night and got the error "unable to read file"..... need to check that FAT32 issue, and ensure I downloaded the correct file? any other suggestions welcome?

triopowell

triopowell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 Tourer Premium
Garage View Garage
Here we go then, I downloaded the file, extracted it to my FAT formatted memory stick, and went out to the car! Looked at the existing version which is 6.5, plugged in the USB, started the car and the Radio came on as normal, so I tried again and again but nothing. I suspect the USB port and AUX ports are dead and therefore I have a couple of questions:

1) When plugging in a memory stick into the USB port am I expecting to see that LED on the memory stick flash in the same way as it would when plugging into a PC?

2) Should I be able to plug my generic mp3 player (not iPod) into the USB port, and charge/play music from my device through the USB port?

3) Does the AUX port simply allow me to use a cable 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to play music from a phone/mp3 player? If so how to I select this as in input on the head unit?

I've tried all of the above and get nothing, which is why I'm assuming the ports are dead :( !

If it is dead I'm presuming the first port of call is to start fuse pulling/replacing?

Any help/feedback or comments are more than welcome!

Thanks

NickD

NickD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

POPULAR

Triopowell

well, I am a great person to help you since I am so far unable to format my usb key for FAT, but here goes;

1. You select the usb or ipod port as "Aux" using the "media" button.
2. Usb stick does light up when being read.

Hope that helps a little

triopowell

triopowell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:i40 Tourer Premium
Garage View Garage
Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought, however mine just toggles between CD and Bluetooth when I have my phone connected, it never gets to anything else! And no light on my memory stick, therefore I think we can safely assume it's dead!

Now why can't you format your memory stick as FAT? Maybe I can help you...

bumpkin

bumpkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • My Fuel Logs

POPULAR

The USB stick should automatically read when inserted just like a PC and the display will say reading USB whilst it examines the contents.
The 3.5mm port should indeed operate as the line in if connecting an external device and again connection of a device should automatically change to the media setting without you having to do anything.

It does sound like you have an issue triopowell, I am into my third Hyundai and have an 80Gb USB powered hard drive with all my music in it which has worked in every Hyundai I have owned.