Nick

Hyundai I40 Warranty Claims - What Have You Had Go Wrong?

Westkent    24

80.000 miles now and my battery has let me down twice in 7 days. Strange as each time the ignition was only off for couple of minutes on each occasion.

Don't think it's a poor connection as their seemed there was some life in it.

Exactly the same problem at around 40.000 miles. Then Replaced under Warrenty.

Booked in next week for replacement rear camara so will get it checked then.

Westkent    24

Rear camara sorted.

Battery needed replacing.

They mentioned reason may of been because 6 month ago after i had same problem, the vehicle was not left to stand for 3 hours. Something to do with ecu.

Earlier replacement was with another main dealer

blaze535    0

Hi I have a 2012 i40 style 136 estate which i purchased in November 2015 with 31,000 miles on the clock. I love the style of the car but the build quality is poor, problems i have had so far are 1] faulty reverse camera 2] drivers outer handle replaced, faulty button 3] both rear 17 inch alloys replaced due to corrosion 4] rear discs and pads and lower suspension arms replaced.5] clutch and flywheel replaced due to poor selection of gears and judder. I am also having problems with selecting 1st and second gears when the temp is under 4deg c, its fine after a couple of miles driving?. Also rear centre parks sensors faulty and now the fronts are starting to play up. to be fair to Turners Hyundai in Ipswich they have sorted the first 5 problems out under warranty. They have had it in again to check the gear selection and rear sensors, they could not find any fault with the gear selection but the vehicle was hot and the park sensors are faulty but couldn't be replaced due to a non genuine tow bar fitted. I have now got to remove the towbar and take the car in again so the rear sensors can be replaced and leave it overnight to have the gear selection fault checked. One other annoying thing i have noticed is the drivers side seat is wearing on the outer edge allready.

I owned a VW passat estate 2000tdi 2007 model which had done 150,000 miles and all that went wrong was 1 rear park sensor and an EGR valve. The Hyundai is the worst car for going wrong i have ever owned!!

Seb    0

After almost 3 years with my Tourer, I'm having the occasional thought about what I might like my next car to be. We all go through these phases and I'm sure in many cases, end up with something well removed from the cars we first drooled over in our lengthy considerations.

In my case, after I managed to disregard all the expensive exotica, I found myself continually coming back to German cars. As I have been retired 12 years and need to spend wisely these days, my rudimentary cost/benefit analysis began to loom large in my thinking, which kind of turned my thoughts from what I want, to what I need.

Certain makes and models which had been firmly written out of my list of possibilities were suddenly back on the agenda for a variety of reasons, not least fiscal. I can hardly bring myself to express this but I will even look at another Hyundai!

When I considered the time I have owned my i40 and the problems it caused me, the running costs over the piece and my various likes and dislikes, even the i40 will get consideration next time round.

Why such an about-face? Well, my needs are simple these days but simple doesn't mean small runabout. I like large estate cars with no compromises with regard to the number of passengers, nor luggage. Equally, if I want to take big stuff home from the DIY store or carry decking timbers or long lengths of carpet, large estates with a sunroof fit the bill ideally. If they also return the kind of MPG we normally associate with small to medium size cars, that describes a proper car to me. We didn't see too many cars of that ilk on Top Gear!

So, as this thread is a whinge page for owners to record the disappointing or disastrous occurrences they have experienced in i40 ownership, I thought I'd attempt to set down my car's annoying faults and the list is short, I'm bound to say.

Here goes;

1) One parking sensor replaced (it might have been two - can't remember for certain)

2) AFLS failure which required a new headlamp unit

3) Suspension arm fix under Hyundai's recall - which isn't a recall - policy? Don't care!

If there was anything else, I have forgotten about it but I'd remember if it had been anything major.

Now, ten things I'd like to see changed in a new i40:

1) Improved headlamps

2) Improved headlamps

3) Improved headlamps

4) Improved headlamps

5) Improved headlamps

6) Improved headlamps

7) A horn with some balls!

8) Improved fuel consumption

9) Better suspension damping and some steering feel.

10) Did I mention improved headlamps?

I could be really picky and suggest they fit a decent satnav, better sound system and DAB radio as well as further quietning the cabin but I think some of that is already there.

Hopefully, the 2015 models will be properly sorted out of the factory gate so the admirable 5-year warranty will not be required as frequently as some have needed. Also, the 5-year RAC breakdown/recovery package thrown in for free is reassuring and the annual health check should mean no (or few) surprises during ownership.

Now, if my head rules my heart..........on the other hand, driving only about 7,000 miles a year now,.....big German estates are really nice. Mmm!

Indalo

I believe the new cars have new headlights and new DAB radio they are using better materials in the making of the car set-up I was really happy with my 2010 i30 brilliant car, I have had a Honda for the last 4 years never had any issues reading these responses I'm not sure how far the 2015/16 models have come in the i40 range, as there isn't any write ups for them and all the reviews are all positive apart from this forum. Most people in the forum seems to have had really bad experience with there's.

seanet    0

Got a faulty front parking sensor, mentioned it during a service and was told it was not covered by warranty as it was caused by a stone chip??  Sounds a bit dodgy to me, but not much I can do other than pay the nearly £200 price of having it replaced.  Disappointed.

GarethP    26

Thanks I need to check this as I am starting to get crashing from the rear

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

After almost 3 years with my Tourer, I'm having the occasional thought about what I might like my next car to be. We all go through these phases and I'm sure in many cases, end up with something well removed from the cars we first drooled over in our lengthy considerations.

In my case, after I managed to disregard all the expensive exotica, I found myself continually coming back to German cars. As I have been retired 12 years and need to spend wisely these days, my rudimentary cost/benefit analysis began to loom large in my thinking, which kind of turned my thoughts from what I want, to what I need.

Certain makes and models which had been firmly written out of my list of possibilities were suddenly back on the agenda for a variety of reasons, not least fiscal. I can hardly bring myself to express this but I will even look at another Hyundai!

When I considered the time I have owned my i40 and the problems it caused me, the running costs over the piece and my various likes and dislikes, even the i40 will get consideration next time round.

Why such an about-face? Well, my needs are simple these days but simple doesn't mean small runabout. I like large estate cars with no compromises with regard to the number of passengers, nor luggage. Equally, if I want to take big stuff home from the DIY store or carry decking timbers or long lengths of carpet, large estates with a sunroof fit the bill ideally. If they also return the kind of MPG we normally associate with small to medium size cars, that describes a proper car to me. We didn't see too many cars of that ilk on Top Gear!

So, as this thread is a whinge page for owners to record the disappointing or disastrous occurrences they have experienced in i40 ownership, I thought I'd attempt to set down my car's annoying faults and the list is short, I'm bound to say.

Here goes;

1) One parking sensor replaced (it might have been two - can't remember for certain)

2) AFLS failure which required a new headlamp unit

3) Suspension arm fix under Hyundai's recall - which isn't a recall - policy? Don't care!

If there was anything else, I have forgotten about it but I'd remember if it had been anything major.

Now, ten things I'd like to see changed in a new i40:

1) Improved headlamps

2) Improved headlamps

3) Improved headlamps

4) Improved headlamps

5) Improved headlamps

6) Improved headlamps

7) A horn with some balls!

8) Improved fuel consumption

9) Better suspension damping and some steering feel.

10) Did I mention improved headlamps?

I could be really picky and suggest they fit a decent satnav, better sound system and DAB radio as well as further quietning the cabin but I think some of that is already there.

Hopefully, the 2015 models will be properly sorted out of the factory gate so the admirable 5-year warranty will not be required as frequently as some have needed. Also, the 5-year RAC breakdown/recovery package thrown in for free is reassuring and the annual health check should mean no (or few) surprises during ownership.

Now, if my head rules my heart..........on the other hand, driving only about 7,000 miles a year now,.....big German estates are really nice. Mmm!

Indalo

I believe the new cars have new headlights and new DAB radio they are using better materials in the making of the car set-up I was really happy with my 2010 i30 brilliant car, I have had a Honda for the last 4 years never had any issues reading these responses I'm not sure how far the 2015/16 models have come in the i40 range, as there isn't any write ups for them and all the reviews are all positive apart from this forum. Most people in the forum seems to have had really bad experience with there's.

On my second i40 now. The 1st one lasted the 3 years of the lease and went back to LEX. With a choice of many vehicles included Honda, Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Skoda and Volkswagen I went for another i40 but this time the 2016 model. I've done around 13,000 miles since the end of April when it was delivered. The headlights are much better, no silly cornering bulbs that blow all the time, just good bright lights. The DAB radio is awesome with a multitude of channels and connectivity with my iPhone. The Satnav interface is much better too. And finally, there's a little SPORT button on the centre console that stiffens up the steering feel. I prefer this setting but wish there was a way to keep it permanently on. Overall, very impressed and some of my colleagues who opted for Skoda, Volkswagen and Volvo and have experienced the i40 have commented how impressed they are with build, ride and styling. No problems so far and just heading towards the first service at 20,000 miles.

jphowson    0

I have had my i40 for two year and yet again another fault has occurred.

Car is never out the garage for something.

Parking sensors : - Rear and Front replaced individual. (Replaced under Warranty)

Rear Parking Camera - Water getting in . (Replaced under warranty )

Management light came on dealer said nothing found.

Internal Alarm sensor wiring fault. - (Fixed Under warranty)

Remote not working on return to car.

Management light on again - Faulty exhaust sensor (Replaced Under Warranty)

ISG intermit working - Dealer said battery faulty and wanted £378 to replaced.

EPB fault - Handbrake switch (Replaced under Warranty)

Took car into another dealer for a fault and they noticed the clutch was heavy and said that there was a fix for it to get it done on return home from holiday so new two new parts fixed on the Master Slave cylinder - (Replaced Under warranty)

Passenger Side Door not opening when key released - New door catch assembly - (Replaced Under warranty)

Now I have a crack appearing up the instrument panel plastic screen - and dealer said its chargeable, even though the crack is coming up the way from under the dash trim.

Taggarts want £140 to supply and fit and the part is only £31.

I think I would reconsider buying one of these cars. I will not be every again. My latest problem I would rather pay the £140 and give the car back to Hyundai. And I seems that I am the only one that this Crack on the instrument panel glass has happened too. Has any one else had this problem?

Boater    3

Another parking sensor failure (the 3rd I think).

And a new one: the internal alarm disable switch (e.g. for dog use) has died.

Neither very good nor very bad for 2012 model, other faults were rather minor. Still, I'll be looking at other brands one day.

trebor    0

I have a I40 estate 14 plate and will never ever buy anther Hyundai again clutch gone 2000 miles out of warranty £1000 to fix!!

indalo    86
7 hours ago, trebor said:

£500 to replace wing mirror!

'A monkey to replace a mirror?  You're 'avin a bubble!'

"No sir; it is a Mercedes after all...........oh, hang on!"

Indalo

Gazwould    23

Well it's been back for two weeks now (62 plate on 45K) since a short engine  change because of disapearing coolant due to porous cylinder liners .

Driving since the 60's and never needed to replace an engine  ! 

He's only had the car 5 months and this is the second claim as some rear bushes let go and caused a drop link to drop down and clank around this happened at week 3 both sides . 

How very spent bushes aren't spotted in an mot ,  service  ,  AA inspection and PDI before handover is beyond my comprehension . 

I wonder what it's going to cost him after next September when the warranty runs out as the more common faults haven't happened like the reversing camera ,  lifting roof rails ,  parking sensors ,  etc . 

We thought initially that Hyundai were quality as they showed faith in their product with the 5 year warranty ,  but their reliability and quality is just average at best and the 5 year warranty is just a USP . 

Long gone are the days when cars just cost consumables and service parts ,  planned obsolescence is the norm now . And a second hand engine from the scrap yard isn't  £200 anymore . 

Now prices are truly scary and will send many a car to an early grave .  Take Audi's 0.2 second gear change S- tronic automatic gearbox  ,  these are sensitive and fragile with crucial 38k oil and filter changes .  If a complete new unit is required and fitted even at a cheap labour rate it's  10 grand. 

Out of warranty an i40 isn't a good prospect  ,  you'd have to have an iQ of 40 to buy one ,  lol . 

NKB    2

After 4 years of ownership i40 tourer blue drive premium my issues list below, some fixed others still present.

1) Retractable load cover

2) Black exterior N/S door trim

3) Roof rails bulging and warped

4) 3x Sat Nav units!

5) Gears crunch, dealer fitted new clutch at 9k

6) Complained on many occasions that gears crunch mainly 2nd and 3rd with poor clutch travel biting point 2cm from floor! - told nothing wrong that's how they are and that they have re pressured the system - worked for a few hundred miles. Complained to Hyundai eventually fitted another modified clutch and clutch cylinder - better travel, lighter clutch but 2nd gear crunches - Dealer says nothing wrong with gearbox, I believe 2nd gear syncro is worn due to faulty clutch and clutch clearance

7) Suspension recall

8) Since owning the car always felt a vibration through steering wheel, normally at slow speeds and over slightly rough ground like a grass field - dealer said it's the hub nuts and no fault found... Complained many times only to be told nothing is wrong. After 4 years the issue started to get worse, knocking noise worse when slow - dealer finally admits a problem diagnoses faulty steering rack

9) Seat belt release buckle driver side

10) Water in O/S rear light cluster - replaced

11) Silver trim on tailgate light cluster loose - light cluster replaced

12) 3 replacement alloy wheels over to separate visits due to corrosion

13) Intermittent rear reversing camera - replaced

14) Sun roof constantly jams when closing - Dealer just squirts WD40 in the tracks, I have heard this is a common problem and a mod pad kit is available, my dealer knows nothing of it!

15) Drivers door catches on closing - readjusted

16) Drivers seat lumbar support loose

17) Driver seat has sideways lateral movement, when driving round a tight bend (at slow speed) can feel the seat move ever so slightly

18) Car has always pulled to the left- Tracking been checked, had full four wheel alignment, and re tracked by different garage - No different, still pulls to left.

19) Auto stop start stopped working after 2 and half years - Dealer checked battery etc....

20) N/S rear quarterlight window bonding is starting to unstick in corner, worse when vehicle has been in the sun as you can press the corner of glass and see it move, the O/S is fine

The car has now done 42k miles, I look after it and always drive it carefully. 

Gazwould    23

Claim # ? 

Noticed this morning the roof rails are lifting . 

These cars are a joke icon_shysterical.gif

i40sam    3

Ok here goes 2012 premium tourer blue .rear sensors failed and replaced  short engine replaced new head gaskget .new radiator .suspension mod rear clutch mod .been in and out for overfuelling .back in at the moment had independent oil test from miller oils came back 27% diluted with diesel .hyundai wouldnt accept this and had their own test done and came back ok .its currently back in for overfuelling and front sensor fail with leather wearing off steering wheel and rattle from dash with vibration to exhaust heat sheild. So been driving from aug to now with diluted engine oil ,i did inform dealership that on returning home from short engine refit that there was in fact no coolant and oil was an inch up the dipstick abd smelled of diesel but got fobbed off that all was ok .got a call a couple of weeks ago that my service and mot were due from dealership which was incorrect but asked when warranty was due to expire and was told 17th aoril this year. Booked car in and guess what ? It was due to exipre 2 days after being booked in on the 20th feb .would i buy another hyundai ???  Answer only if it was in warranty .now waiting to hear back from dealer as to what hyundai are going to do ,my concern is thst it will need another short motor and head  after being run so long with diluted oil as well as maybe new egr and ecu and perhaps new manifold as per one of the other members cars. But its 2 days to warranty expries and im scepitcal if they will ratify such spending .sorry for such a long post but have been reading this forum for over a year now and only just got round to posting .when it comes back its going and im having audi a4 avant se  cheers all happy motoring sam

Scoopdog    0

Clutch master cylinder replace,and new clutch due to contamination,all be it the car was 4 and half years old but had 52k on clock!

And the dreaded parking sensor issue