Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Hyundai I40 Performance / Engine Data

Hyundai i40 1.6 GDI 136PS (6 speed manual)

Displacement - 1591cc

Max Power (kW/BHP) @RPM - 99/[email protected]

Torque (Nm/lbs ft) @RPM - 164/[email protected]

0-62 - 11.3 seconds

Top Speed - 122 mph

Hyundai i40 i.7 CRDi 115PS (6 speed manual)

Displacement - 1685cc

Max Power (kW/BHP) @RPM - 85/[email protected]

Torque (Nm/lbs ft) @RPM - 260/[email protected]

0-62 - 12.3 seconds

Top Speed - 119 mph

Hyundai i40 i.7 CRDi 136PS (6 speed manual)

Displacement - 1685cc

Max Power (kW/BHP) @RPM - 100/[email protected]

Torque (Nm/lbs ft) @RPM - 325/[email protected]

0-62 - 10.3 seconds

Top Speed - 125 mph

Hyundai i40 i.7 CRDi 136PS (6 speed auto)

Displacement - 1685cc

Max Power (kW/BHP) @RPM - 100/[email protected]

Torque (Nm/lbs ft) @RPM - 325/[email protected]

0-62 - 11.6 seconds

Top Speed - 122 mph

After driving a 2 litre diesel for several years and over 75000 miles, I'm really noticing the lack of grunt in my Hyundai with the 1.7 CRDi motor of 136PS. While the performance is just about adequate and fuel consumption reasonable though nothing special these days, Hyundai's choice of engine in this car leaves a lot to be desired.

My first gripe is the lacklustre performance off boost requiring a driving style unsuited to fuel economy in order to keep the turbo on song. The gear ratios seem somewhat at odds with a turbo that really supplies nothing till 2000rpm. I had my doubts when I road-tested the car prior to purchase but ignored those doubts when I drove the 2.2L Accord Tourer and the Mazda 6 wagon. They were both a little, (not massively though!) quicker but I kind of hoped the i40 would loosen up and provide considerably more mpg than the other contenders. Now, at 7000miles, I'm beginning to regret my choice as this recent cold snap has shown up that sticky gearbox syndrome which, frankly, I find simply unacceptable in this day and age. Fuel consumption continues to leave me underwhelmed and just about every other make of car of similar dimensions can out-accelerate the i40.

Ok, it's not a complete lemon......far from it! Indeed, the car has much to commend it for the asking price. That warranty, for starters. If they sell enough of them to Australians, Americans and whichever other markets they are in, (as it won't be a big volume seller here), to make decent profits, perhaps some of the shortcomings will be addressed in a mark2 edition. If they could get the lights right, the satnav a little more intuitive and improve the slightly tinny sound system, that would make it a more-rounded car. To make it a really good car, they should fit a 2 litre diesel, a turbo that kicks in at lower revs and sort the gearbox ratios and remove the cold-weather stickiness.

I drove nearly 250 miles yesterday and came to the conclusion that there isn't a position anywhere in the driver's seat which fits me perfectly. That foot-rest seems to be all wrong to me as, if I position the seat so that I can fully depress the clutch, the foot-rest leaves my left leg in an uncomfortable position. It doesn't seem to matter where I position the steering wheel or how I angle the seat, I just cannot find perfect! Both memory settings for the seat position I have set in such a way that I can change positions when I need to but neither is optimal. They are just about as close as I can get. The fact that I am 7'-2" tall doesn't make me different from many others.......only kidding! I'm 5'-9" and fit most cockpits pretty well but this one is different somehow.

It would be nice to be able to proclaim that the i40 is a fantastic machine offering amazing levels of quality with state of the art gizmos in a kind of tour-de-force in the large saloon car class but it doesn't quite make it for me...... close, but no cigar, I'm afraid. Their technical guys need to spend more time visiting Audi, Ford, Mercedes and BMW HQ, taking notes from the leaders who have made all the mistakes and are now close to getting it right with their large saloon car ranges.

Ever the optimist,

Indalo

Unfortunately, Hyundai does not offer i40 with this engine in EU. Indalo: on the same day Hyundai cars will meet such premiums like MB, BMW or Audi regarding to design quality, their prices will meet too. i40 has a very reasonable price for what it offers, though I would be happy to see more powerful engine, 7-speed AT or all those bells and whistles offered by premium brands. To be honest, what I would really like to see, is overall quality and reliabilty. If Hyundai want to win the market, it needs to improve quality as Toyota. But it costs...

I40 can be had with 2.0 petrol in Australia but by all published reports and the experience of an aquaintance who owns one they very much lack in performance compared to the diesel.

Opposition brands in aus go with 2.5 litre petrol for similar size vehicles or 2.0 litre diesel.

After driving a 2 litre diesel for several years and over 75000 miles, I'm really noticing the lack of grunt in my Hyundai with the 1.7 CRDi motor of 136PS. While the performance is just about adequate and fuel consumption reasonable though nothing special these days, Hyundai's choice of engine in this car leaves a lot to be desired.

My first gripe is the lacklustre performance off boost requiring a driving style unsuited to fuel economy in order to keep the turbo on song. The gear ratios seem somewhat at odds with a turbo that really supplies nothing till 2000rpm. I had my doubts when I road-tested the car prior to purchase but ignored those doubts when I drove the 2.2L Accord Tourer and the Mazda 6 wagon. They were both a little, (not massively though!) quicker but I kind of hoped the i40 would loosen up and provide considerably more mpg than the other contenders. Now, at 7000miles, I'm beginning to regret my choice as this recent cold snap has shown up that sticky gearbox syndrome which, frankly, I find simply unacceptable in this day and age. Fuel consumption continues to leave me underwhelmed and just about every other make of car of similar dimensions can out-accelerate the i40.

Ok, it's not a complete lemon......far from it! Indeed, the car has much to commend it for the asking price. That warranty, for starters. If they sell enough of them to Australians, Americans and whichever other markets they are in, (as it won't be a big volume seller here), to make decent profits, perhaps some of the shortcomings will be addressed in a mark2 edition. If they could get the lights right, the satnav a little more intuitive and improve the slightly tinny sound system, that would make it a more-rounded car. To make it a really good car, they should fit a 2 litre diesel, a turbo that kicks in at lower revs and sort the gearbox ratios and remove the cold-weather stickiness.

I drove nearly 250 miles yesterday and came to the conclusion that there isn't a position anywhere in the driver's seat which fits me perfectly. That foot-rest seems to be all wrong to me as, if I position the seat so that I can fully depress the clutch, the foot-rest leaves my left leg in an uncomfortable position. It doesn't seem to matter where I position the steering wheel or how I angle the seat, I just cannot find perfect! Both memory settings for the seat position I have set in such a way that I can change positions when I need to but neither is optimal. They are just about as close as I can get. The fact that I am 7'-2" tall doesn't make me different from many others.......only kidding! I'm 5'-9" and fit most cockpits pretty well but this one is different somehow.

It would be nice to be able to proclaim that the i40 is a fantastic machine offering amazing levels of quality with state of the art gizmos in a kind of tour-de-force in the large saloon car class but it doesn't quite make it for me...... close, but no cigar, I'm afraid. Their technical guys need to spend more time visiting Audi, Ford, Mercedes and BMW HQ, taking notes from the leaders who have made all the mistakes and are now close to getting it right with their large saloon car ranges.

Ever the optimist,

Indalo

​Have your engine Chipped,So it comes on boost earlier.Costs around £400