Nick

Hyundai I40 Owners Reviews

Just taken delivery of an i40 premium blue drive...... Well what can I say apart from what an amazing car, the build quality is faultless, the drive is faultless, the sound system is faultless, in fact I can't find a single fault with this car....I have had bmw's and merc's and to tell the truth this car is better

I'm test driving two on Thursday, the estate and the new saloon, rather looking forward to it :) I'll be posting up photos of the Saloon, it looks like a Lexus GS450!

I have also taken delivery of my new I40 tourer company can in the last few weeks, very impressed with it so far !!!

Style saloon

Had this 2 weeks now. A slight hiccup with a faulty battery on its second day, but very swiftly fixed by Hyundai Rescue.

Otherwise fantastically pleased. I was going to buy a nearly new Volvo S60, but the i40 offered so much more for the money.

I'm having trouble getting phone contacts into the BT system, so will ask about that in a separate post.

Re MJB1234's comment on seating: I did test drive a Premium but found there wasn't enough headroom for me due to the sunroof. The Style is far better for headroom (no sun roof). I won't need a sun roof this summer!

Also I did have trouble adjusting to the gearbox and clutch, but getting better now!

I test drove a Tourer Style Bluedrive 136ps. Overall I was very pleased, although I get the impression that the i40 will look tatty quicker than something like a Superb, which looks more dour and functional to start with and wears (IMO) dirt better on the interior (lack of shiny black stuff). Not sure which to choose yet, of the 2. The i40 wins on equipment, engine and just pips the Superb on seat comfort, and also wins on suspension. Superb wins on ease of use, speed of voice recognition, steering, handling.

Down points for the i40 are steering and bluetooth system. Specifically, the steering felt odd at speed, as has been reported in reviews. It's something which you get used to quite quickly though. As for bluetooth, on the Skoda you can scroll thorugh the phonebook using steering wheel controls, which I don't think is possible on the Hyundai. A solution would be to assign some speed dials I suppose. Another minus is visibility. I regularly filter in to a lane from the right, and have to look over my left shoulder to double-check. The privacy glass and small windows make this manoeuvre quite tricky.

I was very happy with the i40's engine - the perfect combination of grunt and economy. The Superb's just feels a little gutless in comparison.

It's a tough choice.....

Colleague picked his new i40 up last Wednesday from the dealer, Friday morning burning smell and the engine self-destructed !, he is now car less. Looks as if the PDI wasn’t very thorough

How do you get such a good MPG. I have had this car for 6 months now and the highest I have had is about 52.0 MPG, and the lowest 47.0 MPG. I still get about 770 miles to a tank of fuel. I thought I would get the level of MPG you are getting, but no? Let me know your secret.

I tend to drive at no more than 65mph, I never have any reason to go much faster. Make sure I look well ahead and look to progress well. I just take things very very easily.

I am sure my wife still has the photograph on her phone when we were getting over 72mpg on a reasonable run (If she has I will get it posted). Posted on another thread today that this week we averaged 59MPG with my wife up and down to work, rural and dual carriageway driving. I was actually quite disappointed not to have got over the 60 mark.

M...

I've ported across all old reviews to our new, easier to use, review system. If you haven't yet left a review of your Hyundai i40, please do so, it only takes a few minutes!

Hyundai i40 Owners Reviews

Alternatively, click the "Reviews" tab in the top menu bar :)

The permanent clock is on the display in any of the music modes and also displays on the map screen in GPS mode. If you dont have the system switched on then pressing the clock button beside the CD slot shows a big permanent analogue clock in the display.

What do you need a mute button for, if connected to the BT system then the radio auto mutes when making or receiving a call?

The electronic brake I find interesting. It does not bother me that you have to activate it when starting your journey, surely that is no different to releasing a conventional lever in other cars, but I do not like the fact that with the autobrake engaged the brake lights remain on, I was taught that you stop at lights and release the brake pedal having applied the handbrake to prevent glare for the following motorist. The only way to do this with the i40 is to use the manual handbrake button which is not as intuitive as a lever.

The voice activation is quirky, but it is possible to make a call without touching the screen.....sometimes, but I find the repeated having to press the voice button on the wheel so it will listen to the next command tiresome as well as it not understanding me as well as the ix20 did. Everytime I try to call my wife I get results varying on words which sound like our surname so sometimes Paterson becomes "next station" and the radio goes for a scan, other times it hears Paterson as "destination" and up comes the sat/nav screen. The ix20 simply called my wife with the ultra impressive command "call (name)" one button, one command, job done, why a much more expensive vehicle had to complicate the process eludes me.......

My car must be slightly newer than some of yours as postcode entry is not available at all on mine, country, town and road name/number is all that is available.

Having said all that, I love the car to bits, nothing that I have written here is a deal breaker for me, the 1.6 petrol is smooth and quiet, mpg on longer runs is about the 45 mark and round town about 30, which for a car of its size is, I think impressive. I find it much more responsive than the ix20 was, overtaking is a much less sweaty experience, it's comfortable, I have never had CC before and think it's wonderful.

For those with parking sensor issues perhaps it should be pointed out to our respective dealers that when they have our cars in, powerwashing the sensors is highlighted as big no-no in the manual.

...but I do not like the fact that with the autobrake engaged the brake lights remain on, I was taught that you stop at lights and release the brake pedal having applied the handbrake to prevent glare for the following motorist. The only way to do this with the i40 is to use the manual handbrake button which is not as intuitive as a lever.

It is considered best to keep your brake lights ON when stopped. That's why all automatic cars with a HOLD feature does it.

The reason behind it is to prevent/reduce the chance people pulling into the back of you. That's from police and advanced driving.

But it is in direct contravention of the highway code which states that you should only keep your brake lights illuminated until the car behind you has stopped and they should then be extinguished to prevent excessive glare for the driver behind. I know it is being regarded as acceptable but all the advice/rules need to keep pace so they are telling the same story, this is currently not the case.

But it is in direct contravention of the highway code which states that you should only keep your brake lights illuminated until the car behind you has stopped and they should then be extinguished to prevent excessive glare for the driver behind. I know it is being regarded as acceptable but all the advice/rules need to keep pace so they are telling the same story, this is currently not the case.

I do it for my own safety and I'll keep doing it. ;)

Well, I've had my i40 premium tourer bluedrive since end of October and have put 10,000 miles on it, I have left the review to see if time would change my thoughts, so for what it's worth here is my two pennyworth.

I have had so many people (including a 'womble' on the hard shoulder after someone else's accident) come up to me out of the blue and say something like "That's the new Hyundai isn't it? it looks a lovely car what do you think of it?" and I always answer by taking a deep breath and letting out a sigh...

It depends on what car you had previously, I can only speak from experience, I ran a C4 Picasso exclusive for 4 years and put 200K on it, the i40 is roughly the same price so they compare quite well. Citroen sat down and thought about how to improve the life of it's users it demonstrates a 'mature' and thorough design process. The i40 team sat down and added everything they could think of to get people to buy it, but without the depth of thought.

For example, the hill start, i40 push the button and it works until the ignition is swithed off, C4, if you are on a hill the car engages it for you, i40 electric handbrake, pull the switch to engage , C4, pull the switch to engage or when you turn the engine off the car applies the handbrake, start the car engage gear and accelerate and the handbrake disengages, so much better. i40 the door mirrors turn in when you push the button, C4 when you lock the doors they go in, saves forgetting. The radio doesn't have LW so I can't listen to the cricket! preset stations would be better along the top of the radio screen and I miss the scrolling text.

The clock really bugs me! why not have a constant clock top right of the screen? why have different sizes and positions for different screens? people from the back can't see it. The Odometer dissapears when ignition is off so have to turn back on to get the mileage for the fuel card.

There is lots to like, the sun roof really cool, the touch screen, the reversing camera, electric seat adjustment, heated seats, USB and Aux, the performance, the huge fuel tank I get 800 miles out of mine, the instrument panel is good.

The mpg is dissapointing at an average of 50mpg, poor rear vision, it's difficult to notice if you have left the main beam on as the panel is all blue.

Am I pleased? yes, do I wish they just went that extra bit and made all the toys work ergonomically, because I often miss my Picasso!

Of course if you come to the i40 from a lower spec car you will be utterly thrilled!

As for a motorway cruiser? yep, really comfy.

Hopes this helps.

Hello my fellow (and future) i40 owners. I took delivery of my i40 blue drive (136) Style Tourer in December 2012 and have now clocked up my first 2000 miles so thought Id give you my comments.

Im still delighted with the car and have no major issues to report. There are a couple of things Im keeping an eye on but nothing to go back to the dealer with yet. Minor things are:-

Screen wash stalk occationally sticks on but only a couple of times. might just be new stiffness.

The engine has cut out a few times after a reasonable run when I hit traffic. its not the start stop, but might just be my bad driving.

Auto lights are great but do stay on in fairlt bright sunlight sometimes & also dont necessarily come on in fog.

Auto wipers are also good but seem a little eratic as to when and how fast they operate. (The intermittent setting appears to be the auto position but adjusting the intermittent speed collar on the stalk has little effect if any)

However despite the above its a very good car. Good level of finish, no rattles, all the toys work fine (no satnav issues).

A few people who I have given lifts to have been very impressed with the car and suprised by the Hyundai build quality on the i40.

If I was extra critical things id change are:-

Add a sunglasses holder (cup holder pocket Im using for them works fine for now)

If the back seats could fold fully flat it would make for a better load space. The volume is great but there is an issue with the boot door size. If you buy a 4" wide (standard sheet) of MDF or plasterboard etc, It wont quite go in. One more inch would make all the difference. (We have all heard that before too!)

Im now commuting from Chelmsford To Rochester so fuel cost is a big concern. On a standard run including a bit of town traffic, dual carrage ways, M25 and Dartford Crossing the best I have got was 54mpg. But that was driving especially carefully to try to get the best economy I could get. Typicaly im getting about 45mpg including nipping around town at weekends which does drink the juice. Not sure how the Hyundai quotes figures were achieved. They are optimistic to say the least. Mind you 54mpg is not bad for the size of car.

I will update my comments in the future if or when anything happens that needs sharing.

One thinkg I do like is seeing loads of boxy Ford Mondaos on the road and knowing that my car looks better, drives just as well, has more kit, was cheaper & .... is a little bit more exclusive. (still not too many on the road)!

If you already have an i40 you know you have a good car already, If you are thinking of getting one, go for it I'm sure you wont be dissapointed.

Regards & Happy trouble free motoring to you all.

Jon.

Picked up a pre-reg i40 tourer blue drive 136 just before Xmas. Got a good trade in price for my part exchange (2005 xsara picasso) and simple straightforward negotiation with Dealer. I'd researched this class of car for a while and decided i40 won on looks, value for money and warranty cover.

Negatives

1. roof rail loose upon collection

2. 'notchy' gear change when cold

3. loose catch on boot causing annoying rattle

took the car back after a week and dealer quickly dealt with rail and boot.

4. cant get any where near claimed mpg figs.

5. sat nav post code problem

Positives

impressed by solid feel and build quality of car once roof rail/boot rattle sorted

comfortable on long journeys

easy to learn how gadgets/controls work

easy ipod connectivity

helpful dealer (so far)

pulls better than expected in 6th gear on motorway

like the automatic handbrake

Questions

The gear change remains 'notchy'. Will this ease with use?

I dont fancy trying satnav upgrade myself. Will dealers do this? Is it definitely available?

I have just taken ownership of my new I40 premium Tourer (the ‘Normal’ one not the blue drive one). It is an ex demonstrator, 12 plate, with 10k miles on it. I got a cracking deal on it which meant I couldn’t turn it down, even though, with a bit of patience I may have found one in my preferred colour and with the packs on it that I would have preferred (vision and comfort). I have got the pack that I wasn’t bothered about, the assist pack. But hey ho, once I’d made my mind up, I had no patience at all and jumped at the first good offer.

So what do I think? Well, it is a bit early to give definitive views as so far it has only been on one run to Blackpool with a full complement of passengers to watch the football (about 200 miles) but early impressions are that I very much love this car. It feels very solidly built and is a joy to be sat in – especially at night with the dash lit up in its blue hue – I spend a lot of time in my car and its very important to me that I enjoy being in it and I think I am going to like this one.

I moved to this car from a Citroen C5 Exclusive, which was a nice car indeed but has now done a lot of miles and was ready to go. The C5 was a 2.2L engine so, with 4 of us in the car I can certainly feel that there is not as much poke in the I40’s 1.7L engine, but it will spend 90% of its time on the road with only me in it, and when it was just me, it feels like it has plenty enough shove to get me around.

Any niggles so far – well, one reason why I was interested in this car was the expectation that I will get a much better fuel efficiency rate than in the C5 as I travel all over the country and am getting close to the point where the cost of the fuel is barely covered by my company’s mileage rate. I filled up yesterday before the trip to Blackpool and the trip details show a return of 47.5 mpg which, whilst better than the C5, is nowhere near as good as I hoped, although I am conscious that it was carrying 4 big blokes and a full tank. When it’s just me, in the long term, I will be disappointed if I can’t routinely average over 50mpg – how on earth can Hyundai advertise 55 average and 61 on the motorway when you can’t get anywhere near that in real life?

Other than that, the indicator stalk feels a bit flimsy and is out of character with the rest of the car which feels like it is built from quality materials. And, as others have commented on – the headlights are, well, rubbish. I could barely tell the difference when I put the full beam on. I will have to follow the advice of others on here and invest in some more powerful bulbs. I wish I'd got the Vision pack!

And I have to say that I agree fully with Glenfern – some of the toys leave a ‘nearly but no cigar’ impression and give the impression that they have been added with no final thought about whether their operation is optimised for the convenience of the driver. For example:

• I miss the automatic folding of the mirrors when the car is locked. I used to look back at the C5 with my OCD in “full on” mode and be reassured that the car was locked because the mirrors were folded!

• I wish the auto hold was activated without me having to do it although I love the concept – the C5 “only” had hill start assist which is not the same thing – it held only for 3 seconds only so as to assist in a hill start situation not all the time like the I40 does when it’s activated.

• It annoys me a bit that the parking sensors beep when in close proximity to something behind me even though I don’t have the car in reverse.

• The biggest irritation is the nanny state concept being so apparent – I have always been the type of bloke who is pulling on the seatbelt as I am starting down the street, much to my wife’s annoyance! :) However, I can’t do it now – the I40 won’t let the parking brake disengage until the seatbelt is on – argh!

However, the parking brake does seem more consistent than the C5’s was – many times I would pull the C5’s little lever and nothing would happen, so I’d have to do it again.

But these are just niggles – I can’t expect the car to tick every box and I will get used to the differences. Overall, there is so much to enjoy about this car. The panoramic sunroof is a joy, the media unit is excellent, the reversing camera is great. The car is very comfortable, feels smooth and quiet on the road and is a real head turner.

I can’t wait to answer questions from interested observers and love having a car that is not a common sight, although it deserves to be. Who the hell would want a Mondeo? – if it was paint it would be magnolia. This is a car to be proud of and if it proves to be reliable and bomb proof over the next 3.5 years / 120k miles then Hyundai may have found a long term customer as they have come on immeasurably with this car. I would recommend it to anyone based on early experience with it and all my family and friends are well impressed with it!

I don't quite get what you mean with the handbrake, on the i40 when you pull the switch the handbrake applies and stays on until you drive away again and also automatically applies when you switch the engine off, you seem to suggest that this is not the case and that the C4 was better because it did what my i40 does? Am I missing something?