Hello,

I've had a good search of the forum but can't find the same problem I'm experiencing, I hope somebody can offer some advice.

My i40 Tourer (1.7 136ps Blue Drive) is losing coolant at around a rate of full to empty in 1,000 miles. 

The car has been in to my local Hyundai service center twice. On the first visit a visual inspection was carried out, the system was filled and taped shut, and I was sent packing and told to bring the car back in 620 miles time. 

I completed the stated 620 miles, booked the car back in and when I dropped the car off, coolant level was just under half way to empty. This time the system was pressure tested but no loss of pressure was observed. And that is the end of it as far as Hyundai are concerned. No more tests or checks can be carried out as there is "no evidence of coolant loss". 

I'm at a loss as to why the coolant level is dropping but the car passes the pressure tests? Is that even possible? My current thinking is to get the car re-tested at a local independent garage (issue was reported to Hyundai under warranty so cynical me is wondering whether I've been given the correct pressure test result) but I was hoping somebody else might have had a similar problem or could shed some light or reasons why this might be happening. 

Many thanks for reading.

They can test weather it’s contaminating your engine oil.

They surely can’t recognise theirs coolant loss and at the same time claim there’s no issue.

Iv had coolant loss on 3 separate occasions.

First was the dreaded new engine , well, bottom end as coolant contaminated the oil. ( there’s plenty of old threads on this issue and I’m sure the dealer would be well aware of this common problem)

Second was a new radiator and third was a coolant hose that runs for the bulkhead to the egr cooler.

It was hard to spot as the leak was from a hole that was covered by a sleeve that runs over the hose.

Try another hyundai dealer??

Hi TTTE

Sorry to hear about your problem.

I have had a similar issue (i40 tourer 2013, 137bhp). Service spotted low coolant (not Hyundai Dealer) and topped it up. After 2 weeks, header tank empty. I took to Hyundai who diagnosed the problem immediately as coolant loss into the engine block. 

I am immensely lucky as the car is still in warranty with only 3 months remaining. I've had the car for just a year, and up to this point had always been serviced at a main dealer. 

The upshot? A full replacement engine and required ancillaries under warranty.

I'm still able to use the car, as long as I keep the coolant topped up.

When I drop the car off for the work to be completed, I'll get a bit more info on how they diagnosed the problem and share it with the forum, as this seems to be a regular problem - especially if you think how easily it was diagnosed and dealt with by Hyundai staff.

Ant

Hi Ant,

I've only just realised you'd replied on this thread! Thanks for taking the time to do that. I've replied on another thread as I just came across your post on there. I would be very interested to learn how yours was diagnosed. I feel like mine is the same problem. Literally just spoken to Hyundai "Customer Service" today, who are refusing to escalate my problem to HMUK technical team, and suggest I call out the AA! 

I've spoken to a few independent garages and another dealer, just trying to decide which is my best next step, but the info on how yours got diagnosed would help me decide.

I'll wait patiently for your reply.

Cheers

Call 0800981981, The 1st words you will hear are, thank you for calling hyundai. We’d like to hear your getting a good service.

I had words with them last week and they were more than helpful.

I think you need to ask if you can go to another dealer for a free check although your out of warranty.

Good luck

Hi Westkent,

Thanks for your advice and on your previous post too. Having the oil tested is another option I'm considering.

That is the phone number I have spoken to today.

I feel like Hyundai have washed their hands of the probelm ("there is no evidence of coolant loss, the car is operating normally"), and left all the onus on me to find the cause.

I had previously requested to have the car looked at by another dealer with no charge and that request was refused, I'd have to pay another £90 (ish) for investigation which may well end in the same result, so I'm reluctant to do that at this point. I'm waiting to hear back from an alternative dealership to see if they can offer any insights on the loss of coolant but passing pressure tests.

When mine was diagnosed it was just in for a service. I had not noticed any drop in my coolant level.

I just wish that at the time I’d asked how it was diagnosed. 

Well, my car has been in to a second dealer.

The car passed the pressure tests again, and no leak could be found whatsoever. The dealer advised that they'd have to fill the system, and that I should drive 500 miles and bring the car back so they can see the drop in coolant for themselves (which sounds like they don't believe me, like I'm some sort of serial dealership visitor just for kicks).

However, this dealer did point out the fact that my radiator was severely corroded, but DEFINITELY NOT leaking. Bit of a coincidence it seems to me....

I've had the radiator replaced at a mind boggling cost, and re-topped the coolant when the car was completely cold. Now to wait and see if the level drops over a period of time. 

I'm a bit concerned that the first dealer did not mention my radiator on either occasion they "investigated" this problem. I'll be contacting them to see about a refund for the £90+ investigation charge, and contacting Hyundai to see how willing they are to cover this under warranty as in my view the radiator issue should have been spotted on first inspection, which took place within the warranty period (and as far as I can tell radiators are covered under warranty, I cannot see any exclusion for them). 

Iv had a leaking radiator replaced under warrenty, as have a few others on here I seem to recall.

Thanks Westkent. 

I've just had a voicemail from Hyundai to confirm that they cannot cover the radiator under warranty as the corrosion was caused by wear and tear, and I'm guessing that they will argue it wasn't leaking, therefore not faulty as such. 

The radiator only lasted JUST 5 years and 88,000 miles which seems a very short lifespan to me for a normally functioning radiator. 

On a plus note, Hyundai customer services suddenly seem a bit more concerned about my inexplicable loss of coolant and have passed the issue on to technical . I do not know whether changing the radiator has stopped the coolant level dropping as I haven't covered enough miles yet, so the sudden concern may be a little too late as the problem might be solved now. 

I'll post an update when I've covered more miles. 

Hi all,

Forgive me for butting in... I haven't had this problem myself, but a colleague of mine, (there are 13 of us on our company running i40 tourers), had a similar problem a few years back with his new '13 plate tourer. The dealer had it back a couple of times, topping it up and not finding the leak. Eventually my colleague suggested (braveley), that one of the workshop team should take the car home for the weekend and drive it a decent distance, as they hadn't been driving it up to full temperature when testing it.

They took him up on the offer, giving him a loan car for the weekend, and lo and behold, they agreed there was a problem. It resulted in a new engine block under warranty.

I regularly transport quite senior people from the car design and component industries, from various companies, and some time later, I was told that Hyundai had problems in the early days of the i40, with engine blocks and gearbox casings produced in India. Several instances of microscopic cracks in castings finding their way onto production vehicles, presumably due to some problem in the manufacturing process, coupled with quality control problems.

This rang bells with me, as my first i40, a '14 plate tourer (115) base spec, had a complete gearbox failure at 14,000 miles, with a fist-sized hole appearing at one end, resulting in a very rapid disintegration of basically everything inside, much of which ended up "outside" on the M27 near Chandlers Ford.

The Hyundai engineer's report, which authorised a new gearbox, said "Gearbox failure due to failed case hardening on gearbox, vicinity of output shaft/bearing. Recommend new gearbox and clutch kit."

I have a beautiful photograph of the hole in the gearbox, taken by me, as I left the recovered car at the main dealer, but I  can't upload it. I will keep trying, as it's interesting.. you can see the remaining few cogs inside, with most of the teeth sheared off.

The engineer who wrote the report called me when he'd stripped the gearbox to authorise the warranty work, and he said if he were to put it in simple English, it looked like someone had left a hand grenade in the gearbox at the factory, and it had just gone off at 14,000 miles! He also said there wasn't enough left to be 100% sure what had happened, as so much of the gearbox internals had been ejected when it failed!

Anyway, I hope some of this is useful, or even entertaining!

regards,

Numbers