Dizzy65

Rear brakes binding

I have a 2011 i40 estate.  The rear brakes are binding and the garage said something about the seal having gone and dirt getting into the caliper (?) causing corrosion. They said it's going to be expensive as it had the electronic handbrake.  

Can anyone advise on rough prices?

Thanks

Hi Dizzy65

Whilst I'm not familiar with that issue means in terms of work required, if it means the calipers needs replacing, then yep, could get pretty expensive...

A few years back the garage I used to replace my rear pads messed up. They had to send it to Hyundai, who had to replace the entire rear calipers.

If I recall, the bill was over £1,000 + labour + vat (not sure on the exact bill, as the garage were paying so Hyundai wouldn't tell me, but told me the parts themselves were about £1k, and had to be ordered from S. Korea)

I would hope that by now there might be a supply of 3rd party or even used ones which might be an alternative if that does turn out to be the work required!

(ps - am in Milton Keynes too!)

VAG has had loads with the rear EPB calipers stuck on , the motors were in plastic casings but due to a calipers position being subjected to heat , cold  , water and muck the casings cracked and allowed the water and muck into the motors . 

9 minutes ago, Gazwould said:

VAG has had loads with the rear EPB calipers stuck on , the motors were in plastic casings but due to a calipers position being subjected to heat , cold  , water and muck the casings cracked and allowed the water and muck into the motors . 

Sorry, for my ignorance.  What's VAG?

Nice write up bunny.  As iv invested in the correct tool to wind the pistons back I think I’ll stick to using that .

Your hands on sort of fella your obviously capable going by your script .

im pretty sure what your saying wouldent actually be that difficult given the time .

a couple of hrs each side ???

Thanks. If the seals have gone and there is corrosion is that the calipers that need changing or something else? Forgive my lack of technical knowledge

15 hours ago, Dizzy65 said:

Thanks. If the seals have gone and there is corrosion is that the calipers that need changing or something else? Forgive my lack of technical knowledge

Hi, the dust seal would be the first to go, mine had, damage from previous pad changes it looked like, wind back tool !!!! ha ha,   but as long as the piston is in good shape, just a set of new seals is needed, not the whole caliper, you can buy new piston's off bigg red, but didn't have them in stock when i ordered seal kit, mine were fine anyway, rear brakes/handbrake/autohold all working 100% again and no big hole in my wallet !!

Replacing pads on these cars is simple, Very nice setup. EBP is not an issue and there is no need to use a Gscan tool. 

Rewind can be done using a 12v Surge proteted car battety charger. With the EPB connection unplugged simply reverse the polarity on the piston motor and push back the piston at the same time. Clean out all around the piston and replace seals, also check the slide pins, they are notorious for jamming on this car. Clean them, regrease them or replace them. Pop in new pads, apply EPB and release again, bleed the system. Jobs Done.