GrahamW

1.7 CRDi Clutch Judder

Hi - I am (or was!) close to buying a pre-reg Tuscon 1.7 CRDi manual at a good price, but these clutch issues concern me. Have people experienced the issues with a manual or DCT version?
Thanks.

Hi. Good morning.

To be truthful I don't know. Sorry I cannot help you at all.

As you can read there are some of us having a problem to say the least. The most worrying thing is people are getting very deceiving in what they are saying and my truthful advice is no matter what you need ALWAYS no matter how trivial you may think it is......get it in writing and make sure it states what you wish it to state, not what they want to put, ( Whoever they are ). Under the consumer act you have choices, but whether the car is new or second hand those choices differ, as does the time schedule in what you complain about. Buy by credit card......you are protected either way.

i hope this is helpful to you.

kindest regards

I just took my Tucson 2.0 Diesel manual in for it's 20,000 mile service. I mentioned that there was a clutch judder that needed looking at...staff looked very uneasy...shuffling around in their seats and I got the clear impression that they knew exactly what the problem was but were pretending this was the first they'd heard of the issue.

My car has 20,000 miles (just) and is 2 years and 2 months old...as quick as a flash the guy behind the counter told me that it was 2 years and 2 months and the warranty on clutch plates is 2 years so it isn't covered. 

I was literally going to pop into their show room to pick out a brand new Tucson as I fancied the AWD next (this was my first Hyundai)...lets wait and see what happens. I told them to perform the major service and do a test drive/visual inspection of the judder and report back. They mentioned that if the gearbox needs removing them they'd call me for the go ahead...I must look like an idiot or something. When a car that is barely 2 years old and 20,000 fails then I smell a rat....for comparison my old Volvo has 175,000 miles on the clock and has had just 1 clutch/DMF change.

Being quite a stubborn chap I'm prepared to dig in and fight...so if they don't change their tune when I pick the car up then I'll be looking to get an independent strip down and engineers report....that should get to the bottom of what is actually going wrong...saves time in the long run especially once the legals start flying around.

Just cannot believe the attitude of the main dealer...I thought I was buying a descent car from a descent dealer, if Hyundai really want to sell this car upwards in the market they need to pull their socks up I think...I gave the brand the benefit of the doubt and was very happy up until my first service!

Interesting that there is a clutch and flywheel redesign...anyone got any more info (e.g. part numbers for old and new maybe).

Hi. All sounds a bit.......Look under the 5yr warranty and see for yourself what is or not covered. If you cannot find it ask them to show you in (writing) where the statement is.If anything it will be under wear items used...i.e tyres brake shoes etc. "0.000 mls on a clutch does seem very very low.

Secondly I would point out the consumer act of October 2015..Look it up..it is online for all to see and get to know what rights you have BEFORE going back to them.

I am still waiting on mine.

If you do get a new car ....pay by credit card and again get to know what rights you have in a 30 day period and even up to 6 years. I hope this helps you in your quest for "power to the people"!!

regards

Ian

Lets see what happens when I chat with them on Saturday...either they will be reasonable or we'll all be wasting ALOT of time. Fortunately I've been through this nonsense before...it usually ends the same way after a lot of time wasting!

I was just very surprised at their attitude...bought almost the top spec model and would have been buying a new one from them in 10 months time until this happened. Glad I found out sooner rather than later about their attitude and warranty limitations.

I will read the stuff which came with the car...I'm surprised they can claim a 5 year warranty and then insert a bunch of clauses limiting parts to 2 years!

20,000 miles and a new clutch....pfffff....so clutches now last less time than tyres on a Hyundai!!

Just a brief update...don't intend on doing a running commentary of my issue. Basically I emailed the customer service address given by another poster and they came straight back and followed up with a call. It looks like there is a known issue that Hyundai are trying to address via a redesign of the clutch/flywheel (not sure which). The lady said she wasn't aware of the issue affecting the 2.0 diesel but that could just be that there aren't as many 2.0 diesels on the roads and I'm pretty sure mine was one of the first out there so I may have just got to it before others.... I do remember driving for many months without seeing another Tucson! They did say if it's the known judder issue (to be confirmed by the dealer) then this isn't a safety issue and I can still use the car while they come up with a fix - I'll be needing an email to confirm that I think.

The main symptom I get is there is a judder in 1st/2nd and reverse when the car is cold...once warmed up you barely notice it but sometimes it's still there. It feels a lot like my volvo did when the DMF was busted but I'm not sure the hyundai has a DMF so this may simply be a coincidence. It definitely doesn't feel like a contaminated or worn clutch...it's definitely a judder and not a slipping clutch.

Lets see what happens....I really hope that I wasn't wrong about this brand.

Hi my friend

Hyundai have know of this problem by the sounds of it for over a year, and as they say still looking into it!!!!wow.

Say to them under the consumer act that the vehicle is not of merchantable quality. not fit for purpose and that under the act you are entitled to certain rights.You never mentioned the warranty? what did they say or show you in writing?

Yea...but it might not be the same issue as the 2.0 diesel could have a different clutch and flywheel to the 1.7 diesel.

Agree there are indeed plenty of options available...but I like the car a lot and want to keep it so I'm willing to see where this goes for the moment. Most options require the manufacturer to be given a reasonable opportunity to fix the issues anyway so there is really no point me being unreasonable from the get go.

Did you end up giving your car back or did you get it fixed/still living with it?