Hi there guys,

I am new to this form and this is my first post.

It has been great to read all the information  made available on this site, and peoples experiences. 

I have just got myself a Hyundai i40 Executive Tourer 2011 1.7 Diesel CRDI - One owner from new with 100,000 km on the clock and a full service main dealer history.

Five year warranty has expired, but the car has come to me with a 12 month warranty from dealer ship.

When I test drove the car the car was pulling to the left, thinking it would be something easy to fix like just the tracking and alignment needing to be done I said it to the dealer and he said he would fix it.

Purchased the car drove it home, and still pulling to the left. Dealer has now said it's a safety feature!!  All Hyundai's go to the left slightly!! There is nothing wrong with it!!

I find it very hard to believe it's a safety feature, if anything a safety feature would be for the car to go straight, because mine can't find the road  and is actively seeking out poles and ditches to the left. 

If anyone has any Answers on this I would love to hear their opinion please....?

My other concerns,

First Gear stiff and hard to engage when cold, Hyundai garage sorting out the problem at the moment. Their solution is they are replacing the clutch master cylinder.

Moisture in the rear Reverse Camera, Hyundai are replacing the camera. Hopefully as we speak.

Moisture in Tail Lights and water getting in to the interior boot door.  These two problems were fixed before I purchased the car by dealer.

Roof rail bars are lifting this is something I have not got round to fixing or even asking the dealer about yet. But again if they're easy to fix would like to hear your opinion...?

I really like the look of the car, It is good on fuel  and a great size.

However I am starting to worry I may have made the wrong choice, Reading all the common problems people have with this car.

My first choice was the Toyota Avensis estate  but could not afford a good one or even find one that I wanted.

That old saying comes to mind, you buy cheap you by twice!

The problems I'm having with this vehicle are all being fixed, but it doesn't seem like they can do much or want to recognise the problem of pulling to the left!! which is really my main concern when driving this car.

I remain optimistic and hope I really haven't made a big mistake with this car and going with Hyundai. 

But time will tell and I'll keep you posted,  hoping to get my car back from the dealer today.

Any ideas on these issues I'm having are very much welcomed.

Kind regards,

ken 

Today's update on the i40.                       5/5/17

Contacted the dealer just there in the hope that they would have the car ready, as they have had it for seven working days.

Unfortunately it won't be ready for collection today and will most likely be the end of next  week!

This is because the Stiff first gear issue that I was having is still a problem. They have already replaced the clutch master cylinder but that didn't help the matter so they now have a clutch on order.

They still don't have any parts for my car in stock for some strange reason.

The battle continues, and losing faith in Hyundai's reliability and not having parts available.

So far this new i40 to me, has spent more time in the shop getting fixed and waiting for parts then I have owned it for.

Regards 

ken

Hey guys,                                 6/5/17

Thanks for your comments WestKent and  aldredd.

The issue with the car pulling to the left is a major concern of mine, and I have very little confidence that they will be able to fix this issue/ problem.  ( saying it doesn't exist i.e Normal )

The problem is more so that if you let go of the wheel or relax your concentration for a second you are going straight off to the left. The steering is overly light but I always knew that so no problem there.

In my opinion this is Dangerous, and a recall should have been made on this vehicle with regard to the order Hyundai customers complaining of this problem on many forms and of course my own experience!

I have yet to hear a fix with regard to this issue..?

Of course Hyundai main dealer ship, are so surprised to hear this, and have went on to say it's not an issue it's not something they have had other people complaining about.

So now I only speak for myself, and I'm saying that it's a problem and it's Dangerous, and if they can't fix it they can keep the car.

I have had my own mechanic look at the car and he has confirmed that it is strange and does go off to the left and indeed it shouldn't happen. 

The same mechanic who told me Hyundai  where good:lol:

But he can't fix it, only do a tracking and four wheel alignment which has already been done! 

So.......

Still hanging onto the idea that when I get my car back everything might just be okay and I will have a reliable trouble-free car.

But after reading this form, and lots of other peoples experiences here I am starting to doubt my purchase very much. Having spent all my savings on this car..!!

It is true what they say,

Ignorance is bliss.

Thanks,

ken

It's a bit of a pain, but truth be told, I don't really notice it anymore - your driving style adapts to it - and does at least prevent the bad habit of letting go of the steering wheel!

It's certainly not my biggest gripe with the i40! (Not that have I have many - more niggles etc really)

Got my car back yesterday morning from Hyundai 

all jobs have been carried out.  Except for the reverse camera which they have on back order  they have apologised and said they don't know when they will get it in so they will contact me as soon as they have it.

New clutch and Master cylinder-

Car feels great to drive now when changing the gears no issue at all when cold or hot :D

Pulling to the left issue -

They have done a tracking and four wheel alignment, car still pulls to the left might be 5% better than it was.  Going to try and live with it.

Roof rail bars lifting - 

Mechanic has re-fitted the roof rail bars with new clips and it seems quite solid.  85% happy with this job. One roof rail is slightly bent up at the front because it wasn't installed correctly.

Reverse camera -

Is still on backorder, they will contact me as soon as they have the part. Should take about an hour and a half to fit the new camera.

I'm falling in love with this car all over again,  hopefully no more problems;)

My i40 consistently pulls to the left. I have had it realigned three times now and it has not solved the problem. The dealership are now saying that it is road camber causing this apparently "all modern cars are sensitive to road camber". Hmmm, that's strange because I have never seen this issue in other cars that I have driven. So it seems I am being fobbed off here. Has anyone actually had this issue sorted? What are your experiences? 

Yes - you're being fobbed off :)

Many people have had the same issue - and to my knowledge, nobody has even had the issue acknowledged by Hyundai, much less actually had it resolved!

You don't really notice it after a while - but it's always there - think of it as a 'letting go of the steering wheel prevention mechanism' ;)

Bought a 2013 i40 estate  recently, had it tracked two times but still pulling to the left, gives me a sore right shoulder on a long drive, not sure what I can do next

15 hours ago, stormgem said:

Bought a 2013 i40 estate  recently, had it tracked two times but still pulling to the left, gives me a sore right shoulder on a long drive, not sure what I can do next

Hyundai won’t recognise the problem, I have spoken to them extensively about this and apparently there is no problem and I’m the only one with this problem!

I had my mechanic look at the problem,  and he doesn’t think it can be fixed because it’s all preset from assembly line with no adjustments  for camber & caster on the car.

My suggestion to you if you wish to Persue this problem with Hyundai is -  Have the problem diagnosed by a separate big well known and respected garage.

And then take a legal case against the Garage-place of purchase,

and Hyundai -  in the country you live,  for me that Hyundai Ireland.

I have given up on this matter myself.....

Mine pulls annoyingly to the left but I have to say that it doesn’t seem to effect the tyre wear.

Had the tracking done twice with minimal adjustment.

My dealer just comes out with the usual crap. “ Camber sir “.

Well that’s strange cos when I drive on the other side of the road it still pulls to the left.

If what they say was correct then surely it would then pull to the right???????

9 hours ago, Gazwould said:

Does this result in uneven tyre wear ? 

5 hours ago, Westkent said:

Mine pulls annoyingly to the left but I have to say that it doesn’t seem to effect the tyre wear.

Had the tracking done twice with minimal adjustment.

My dealer just comes out with the usual crap. “ Camber sir “.

Well that’s strange cos when I drive on the other side of the road it still pulls to the left.

If what they say was correct then surely it would then pull to the right???????

9 hours ago, Gazwould said:

Does this result in uneven tyre wear ? 

No doesn’t seem to have for me