Sign in to follow this  
GarethP

Not good

Not a good start to the day

car has been recovered to dealer by RAC due to complete loss of power and extremely rattly. I was doing 70 in lane 3 on the motorway. Exciting!!

RAC guy thinks maybe timing chain and top end. It does still run but extremely low on power. 

Oil level well over max and he said diluted with diesel.

ive been complaining about high oil level and poor fuel economy/running to the dealer for 40k miles!!

dealer can't look at it until Monday!!

138k miles 

And a front parking sensor isn't working again!!! LOL

Cheers all.

Yes that's my thoughts too - I've seen a drop in economy from mid 50s to high 30s/low 40s for about 8 months or so.  Oil has been high previously and I've mentioned this to the dealer before the last service. They drained some out, but it's steadily crept back up.  It keeps going back in - they keep saying there's nothing obviously wrong.  I had a hunch it might be the DPF and I've tried hammering it down the motorway at 70 in 3rd to try and force the DPF to regenerate but obviously to no avail.  It would also appear that the ECU and engine monitoring is rubbish.  Even with, what looks like cam chain failure, there are no codes stored when I access via the OBD port!!  I've known something is wrong for a while.

The engine still runs, albeit badly, so my assumption is it's slipped a tooth or similar rather than failed completely. (I've just had the cam chain/sprockets in my Vivaro changed at 130k miles and the sprocket had several broken teeth - lucky there! Vauxhall say it's a 'never change' item!!)

Luckily I still have 8 months of warranty left and scrutinising the small print it would all appear to be covered, just a pain that I'll be driving either a Vivaro or mini convertible for however long they have it as they are swamped currently with 'year old, new car' servicing! (looking at the weather, the convertible seems like a good idea!!)

Friend of mine has a Kia Optima that carries the same 1.7 engine.

now 5 weeks ago he had Kia replace an injector as fuel was in the oil.

Two days ago he took out 3.5 litres of oil for it to sit at the correct level.

As he never check oil level after work was done he now wonders weather they changed injector without replacing oil

or bothered draining surplus oil. Interesting to see how longer his engine continues. Only gets 30mpg at the moment.

So for those thinking of moving to Kia for better workmanship I'd seriously thing again.

Interestingly though the RAC bloke said that in 5 years he's only ever been called out to Hyundais with flat batteries or tyres...

Called in today and "They've had a first look and it's definitely engine related" LOL Incould have told them that

they should know more in a few days but they are expecting the go ahead for a new engine from Hyundai!!

i'll also make sure they've thoroughly tested the DPF

haven't told then about the parking sensors or that the ISG not working yet!!

Just had confirmation. Full engine replacement has been authorised by Hyundai. 

I asked if they knew the root cause. Bloke didn't know. Suggested they might want to go away and take a look at the DPF due to drop in fuel economy and rise in sump oil level. He said he'd mention it. Whether he will or not I don't know. I definitely will be every time I talk to them! He tried to tell me that the DPF wouldn't be covered under warranty. I can't see it excluded anywhere, have I missed it?

They will keep me updated on timescales. They said 'not too long' guess it will depend how slow the slow boat is from Korea, but hopefully they have some engines in he country. 

They say my clutch is worn, which at 140k miles I'm inclined to agree and have offered to replace my clutch for the cost of parts whilst the engine it out. Does anyone know what price I'd be looking at on the high street?

ive also mentioned the parking sensors and ISG!

getting quite used to driving the van!!

Well. Car is back. Complete with new engine and clutch. Seems ok  difficult to tell on a few around town miles  next week is 500+ motorway miles.

Root cause. Unknown apparently. But I was told the oil was thick and syrupy when they drained it. They still don't know where the massive overfill has come from!! (I have my suspicions. I've not put any oil in and it's not losing water but my MPG has dropped significantly  doesn't take Sherlock Holmes!)

I'm not letting this lie. I'm taking daily photos of oil levels and weekly mpg readings. It goes back in 1500 miles for its 140k service. 

I have a great wad of paperwork. Including a DPF report saying he last successful regeneration was 19 km before it died. Also that there is 18.04 g of soot mass in the DPF. 

If it isn't the DPF what else could it be??

Just done my first 90 mile commute with the new engine. Seems to be back at mid 50s mpg. Monitoring levels daily though!!!

How do people get mid-50s mpg in these cars?  I have a 30 mile each commute that is probably 20 miles motorway, 10 miles town traffic (stop start in rush hour).  Most other driving is motorway based.  I tend to drive at 75 mph-ish on cruise control, and I've never consistently got over 45 mpg over a full tank?

Daverey - do you have the bluedrive?

I've done another 300 miles since and still sitting at mid-50s. I used to be able to regularly get 800+ miles from a tank (to be confirmed with the new engine, but looking promising)

my driving is 90% motorway and I rarely creep about 70. It's surprising how much difference a few mph make. In a rare week when I'm only poodling about town I reckon on mid 40s if that helps.

im also convinced that cruise control isn't as good at fuel economy as people think. Constant adjustment of speed seems to mess with it, IMO.

oil level seems to be behaving too. 

Yep - have thew Bluedrive version. I do have a roof rack on most of the time with empty bike carriers, mut mid-40's is the best I can get.  No other obvious signs of any other problems with the engine at all either?

Very helpful - thanks for the info.  Just wanted to be sure there isn't something drastically wrong......

I'm mostly motorway and a significant part of my regular journey is currently 50 mph average speed limit cameras. It's surprising just how much difference that makes!!!

Not happy.  Oil up 5mm over max and fuel economy down over 10% on my 3k mile new engine :(

from this

IMG_1396.JPG.e525e1c1ba38346e30b516866f6f18e7.JPG

And this

IMG_1395.JPG.bd64040a2bb12ff09424c781f0e58cc5.JPG

to this

IMG_1393.JPG.a561aa76bc7ac8a0ad59e63423fb1834.JPG

and this

IMG_1394.JPG.f60d0366e8e44157dee83c449c445bc5.JPG

and it sound like the turbo bearing is going

not happy...

Mid 50s was a regular Occurrence for me. 95% motorway and roughly 30% of that is 50mph average speed cameras

Booked in for June 1st

lets see what they say...

Torn as to whether to take an oil sample and send it off for analysis before it goes in. 

£60 is not an insignificant sum, especially when I'm of the mind they should be doing it...

any recommendations for places that may be cheaper? I'm really just looking to confirm if there's diesel in it...

That's good , I was under the impression oil analysis was much more than that . 

Who is that with and what would their typical analysis look like ?