Garry

New Clutch at 36000miles?????

I just put my 63 plate 36000mile i40 tourer in to get it's first MOT. It passed no problem, but, I asked for them to check the handbrake release, and the adjustment on the clutch. The hand brake was very sticky when releasing from parked. They said it needs new rear discs and pads, and that'll be £330! WHAT? So, what about the clutch, I asked. It needs a new clutch too, at a further £380 + fitting. It may be a warranty job, but may be wear and tear, which means I'll be liable for the cost. 

I am so disappointed and quite deflated about what I find to be a great all round car. Has anyone else had a new clutch at this mileage? I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles, and never had to replace a clutch in any of my cars. I wondered if it was anything to do with the sticky handbrake, causing the extra strain on the clutch, making it slip during pulling away. If this is the case, it will surely be found that it is wear and tear, and not be covered under warranty.

Any advice or comments?

Cheers,

Garry

3 hours ago, Westkent said:

Don't know about the clutch, I've never needed one changed before though either.

if your discs and pads are low I don't see how that would have any effect on a sticky hand brake.

have you not got an electric handbrake?

you can actually see if your pads need replacing visually with a torch .

my rear pads need changing around every 50000 and I've now done 140000 and not had to replace rear discs.

i can't believe there not having you over Gary. 

Hhmmm, interesting. Very much reinforces what I thought already. I'm not sure what the problem with the rear brakes is, whether it is worn, pitted, scored or whatever, they just say that they require replacing. This is a job I have done many times on previous cars, but realise it isn't so straight forward on this one. 

The dealer gets very good reviews, and comes highly recommended from many people I know personally. Based on this I find it hard to believe they are trying to pull a fast one, but I could be wrong!

Since starting this thread, I have discovered that the clutch is only warranted for 2 years, so this could prove difficult to get anything out of the dealer or Hyundai. 

I have a garage I have used for the last 9 years, and trust the guy a lot. Since buying the i40, I have used main dealer only for it.  I just don't know if my local guy has the gear to deal with the brake replacement etc. I guess I could ask!!  

I'll keep you posted,

Cheers,

Garry

well it could be that there is nothing actually wrong with the rear brakes.

So, even if your local man doesn't have equipment required I'm sure he could diagnose 

at worst by just removing a wheel. Will take ten minutes at worst.

and remember , if your car just passed its mot then it's not a safety issue just what dealer says is advisable.

so it's not anything you need to do asap.

westkent

Hi Gary, sounds like the rear pads/discs have worn down in such a short time due to the hand brake sticking on thus the EPB not releasing fully which I would argue if "inherent" mechanical failure which is covered under warranty. Inherent being the most important word in the claim.

As for the clutch, a sticking EPB would also cause premature wear to this item as well as all the other well documented issues with the i40 clutch which is why they have quoted you such a ridiculous low price for a clutch replacement.

You could try another Hyundai dealer or raise the issue with Hyundai UK.

The rear brakes are not so difficult to do both I & westkent do our own rear brakes just as easy as the front with the maintenance tool which paid for itself on the first change. £200 for the tool £40 rear pads. I also got some new pair brembro discs over Xmas in the mister auto Black Friday for £65 which I will fit with my next set of pads.

Good to see Indalo on the forum still.

Andy.

Well, the i40 is booked in on Wednesday for the clutch to be "investigated"! They think it is the master cylinder that has leaked causing the clutch to slip. The clutch isn't slipping though?? This could be an interesting time. Plus they want the car for 2 full days. A courtesy car is going to cost us £15 a day. I'll keep you informed of what the outcome is. 

Is that a courtesy car or a hire car ?

I would suggest Gary that you find another Hyundai dealer for future work as those £15 are really going to start to add up.

Ive used 2 different Hyundai dealerships for work on my i40 and neither have charged anything for a courtesy car.

19 hours ago, aabs said:

Is that a courtesy car or a hire car ?

I would suggest Gary that you find another Hyundai dealer for future work as those £15 are really going to start to add up.

Ive used 2 different Hyundai dealerships for work on my i40 and neither have charged anything for a courtesy car.

I think it may be an insurance thing, not sure

Pleased for you Gary - seems like it's gone as well as could be expected. Nice one!

10 hours ago, Garry said:

Well, the car has been in to the garage, and come out with a new clutch housing and seal. All done under warranty. Can't believe the difference, like a new car now! The brakes are still an issue, but there is no way they will get done under warranty, so I am looking in to getting them done elsewhere. 

We're not getting charged for the courtesy car either I am glad to say. All is well again!

Thanks all for the advice and so on, much appreciated,

Garry

I'd call that a result Garry!  I'm not at all surprised that there was a fault with the clutch, rather than friction plate wear which would be most unusual at that mileage.  That meant the difference between warranty work and the emptying of your wallet!

As for the brakes, I think you're quite right to have them done elsewhere.  As 'aabs' and 'Westkent' have indicated, brake pad replacement isn't beyond the competence of a decent non-franchised repairer or indeed anyone reasonably familiar with car maintenance DIY.  While the rear pads could be in need of replacement, the actual discs are probably fine.  Rear brakes only provide a small proportion of the job of bringing a vehicle to a halt, the fronts doing the lion's share.  

If it were me, unless the rear discs prove to be either badly worn, (measurable and usually obvious to the naked eye and a fingernail test), or warped, (unusual), which is difficult to see but can be measured on a clock gauge, I'd simply replace the pads.  In the course of rear brake examination, the cause of a sticking handbrake should come to light.  Given that you have been saved the clutch replacement costs, I'd be inclined to let your favoured non-Hyundai repairer check out the handbrake and pads.

Indalo