Sign in to follow this  
Frankie406

Possible newbie

Frankie406    0

Hello first time posting here.I'm currently looking at a 2012 i40 premium with 70k on the clock anything that I should look out for?what's the timing belt to be done at..I currently have a 2006 avensis d4d which is a great car but looking something a bit more modern I went for a 2009 vauxhall insignia which lasted a week. Any help would be great. Thanks

Gazwould    23

Worst case scenario is the infamous coolant loss  .

That results in a completely new or short engine... 

Frankie406    0

Is that on all years or certain years and vin numbers? Any recalls for this or work carried out through warranty? 

Frankie406    0

Seems there's a problem with every car makers now.it's hard to get a car with no issues the car I'm looking at is just at my budget the thing is I'm in northern Ireland and the car is in England and going to get it shipped over.

Frankie406    0

Yes hyundai main dealer. I've emailed them to ask if the car had any issues with it. The car is the nicest I've seen so yes ticks all the boxes.my dad has been driving hyundai for 25+ and not 1 problem.

aabs    31
On 15/01/2017 at 6:27 PM, Frankie406 said:

Is there any vin numbers available in which these engines are problematic?

It affected some of the engines which were all produced at the same factory but I can't find the old thread with the information on.

Easiest way to find out if westkent visits the vin decoder, link below

http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Hyundai

it will give the build information including source factory for the engine and the date the car left the production line. A 2013 registration mark don't always mean a 2013 built car.

Hope others that have suffered the loss of coolant can use the vin decoder to help you identify which factory the affected engines came from.

After all the engine is a copy of the d4d in your Avensis and is a tried and tested block.

Westkent    24

Now it must be said , that I never witnessed any coolant loss although I checked regularly. I was never convinced the work should of been done.

has been said elsewhere that only engines manufactured in India were affected and this info shows mine manufactured in Korea which supports my suspicions.

Extra information on the vehicle:

Maker HYUNDAI
Name i40 12 (2011-2015)
Production Date 20.06.2013
Body color N3S
Engine # D4FDDU343524
Type production end 2015
Engine factory 084 (Ulsan (Korea))
Market (C21) UNITED KINGDOM
Code KEURPDF12 (DF)
Region (C51) EUROPE
Transmission factory 084
Transmission # FADABS233203
Category Passenger
Type production start 2011
Code WT04
Engine HX26
Paint A
Options Weather Type: (3) WEATHER - THE TEMPERATE ZONE; Steering: (R) DRIVE TYPE - RHD; Body: (W5) WAGON - 5DR 5P; АCode (F) AUTO - 6 SPEED 2WD; Engine size: (1F) 1700 CC - U2; Engine (C) DOHC - TCI; Fuel: (5) DIESEL - DIESEL
Type DFW51FC5F
VIN KMHLC81UMDU068409
Family i40
Interior color RY

aabs    31

Westkent, you may want to delete your vin number from your post.

Your i40 must of been on the same boat to the UK as mine as both built in the same week !!

Westkent    24
On 21/01/2017 at 0:31 PM, Westkent said:

Now it must be said , that I never witnessed any coolant loss although I checked regularly. I was never convinced the work should of been done.

has been said elsewhere that only engines manufactured in India were affected and this info shows mine manufactured in Korea which supports my suspicions.

Extra information on the vehicle:

Maker HYUNDAI
Name i40 12 (2011-2015)
Production Date 20.06.2013
Body color N3S
Engine # D4FDDU343524
Type production end 2015
Engine factory 084 (Ulsan (Korea))
Market (C21) UNITED KINGDOM
Code KEURPDF12 (DF)
Region (C51) EUROPE
Transmission factory 084
Transmission # FADABS233203
Category Passenger
Type production start 2011
Code WT04
Engine HX26
Paint A
Options Weather Type: (3) WEATHER - THE TEMPERATE ZONE; Steering: (R) DRIVE TYPE - RHD; Body: (W5) WAGON - 5DR 5P; АCode (F) AUTO - 6 SPEED 2WD; Engine size: (1F) 1700 CC - U2; Engine (C) DOHC - TCI; Fuel: (5) DIESEL - DIESEL
Type DFW51FC5F
VIN KMHL
Family i40
Interior color RY

Edited 

Westkent    24
5 minutes ago, aabs said:

Westkent, you may want to delete your vin number from your post.

Your i40 must of been on the same boat to the UK as mine as both built in the same week !!

Thanks abbs

aabs    31
On 24/01/2017 at 4:00 PM, Gazwould said:

Well I've just done the decoder  ( coolant loss with no overheating and short engine replacement )  and the 18.1.12 built car ( 62 plate ) also has the engine factory as 084 Ulsan ( Korea ). 

So is this dispelling the myth of an Indian factory being responsible  ? 

Got to agree with you Gaz