darkod

Urgent Battery Charging Question

darkod    0

Hi all,

I am a new member and sorry to jump right in without even an introduction, but I have an urgent question regarding my I40 battery charging.

Due to my own misinformation (my first new car in life) and a combination of low usage of the car recently, it seems the battery has gone discharged just by sitting parked. I am sure I did not leave the lights or anything on, it seems the discharging has been going on for a while bit by bit (short drives not enough to get real juice into it from the alternator), and finally yesterday I noticed it after about 2 months of sitting parked. I was not aware electronics can draw small current constantly even when parked and it could discharge your battery, otherwise I would have been checking the voltage or something.

Now... I have taken out the battery, it's an AGM70 model. However a charger borrowed from a neigbour says for Pb wet batteries, which in theory the AGM is not. I have been googling a while, and I can not find any strict recommendation to use or not to use such charger. On the other hand I did see warning that battery chemistry might be affected if it sits discharged for long (no info how long is long exactly...).

I will buy a modern smart charger after this incident, probably the Noco Genius G7200EU, but while I am waiting to arrive I was wondering if it is better or worse to use this wet charger at least few hours to get some juice into it. I will probably have to wait up to a week to do it with the Noco.

I am thorn between using a wet charger on AGM battery or letting it sit few more days discharged until the Noco gets in. Can it be really harmful for the chemistry in such a short time?

Thanks for any advice. If you need some info just let me know what to provide. I did not put too much car details since it is strictly a battery question.

Best regards

Darko.

PS. This wet charger says Average current 6A, Effective current 9A. It looks OK for a 70Ah battery even though it does not have a specific AGM function. I would definitely not try to charge it with high current.

Westkent    24

If your unsure with the charger , just get jump leads on it mate.

Then take it for a 6 to 7 mile run,

If then it won't start you have 2 yr warranty with the battery.

Don't muck about telling them about short runs.

They tried telling me mine had 1 yr. and tried charging £140 .

Knowing they were trying it on I told them to double check.

They came back and confirmed 2 yr.

Good luck.

Alder0505    2

My car is in for 4yr health check and mot today.  Isg hasn't worked for few months.  Dealer quoted £269 for a genuine hyundai replacement.  No chance.

Westkent    24
2 hours ago, Alder0505 said:

My car is in for 4yr health check and mot today.  Isg hasn't worked for few months.  Dealer quoted £269 for a genuine hyundai replacement.  No chance.

Excuse my ignorance but, isg??????

indalo    86
2 hours ago, Westkent said:

Excuse my ignorance but, isg??????

Come on 'WK', get with the programme!  How about, 'Intelligent Stop-Go'?:D

Indalo

indalo    86
5 hours ago, Alder0505 said:

Is there a reason why this shouldn't be a warranty repair?

Indalo

Westkent    24
22 minutes ago, indalo said:

Indalo

Battery only has a 2 yr warrenty, mines on its 4th at 140.000m.

last one was £130 supply and fit by main dealer.

apologies indalo. 

ps , thought you'd of known about the 2yr warrenty ,lol 

Alder0505    2

Yes 2yr warranty in battery. At least no question over the reverse camera that packed up within the last month.  New one looked to be slightly different design.  Hope it lasts at least 4 yrs. 

Another thing to mention was that the dealer said the tyres were near the legal limit (1.6mm) but they measured them at 2.6mm. Got a few thousand miles left in them I'd say.  They said anything under 3mm has to be flagged.  I should have quoted the tyre company boss that said don't change until at the legal limit! He should know. 

Strangely all tyres are wearing down at approx the same rate.  Must be my steady driving. All bar one are original (got a screw in one with first month of owning car)  and currently on 54k. What mileage do others get from their tyres?

At least the dealer gave it a good clean and the mot only cost £40. Mini valet would have cost me at least a tenner!

Westkent    24
2 hours ago, indalo said:

Indalo

Battery only has a 2 yr warrenty, mines on its 4th at 140.000m.

last one was £130 supply and fit by main dealer.

apologies indalo. 

ps , thought you'd of known about the 2yr warrenty ,lol 

Westkent    24

Fronts I get 25k the rears possibly 50k.

you don't really wanna be paying out for new tyres until you need to.

its the same with discs and pads, they always make out there on there way out with plenty of wear still there.