Sign in to follow this  
gando

Locked Out

I parked my 2013 (63 plate) yesterday and on returning pressing the key fob did nothing - would not open the doors - as I have never really read the book I looked for somewhere to put the key into to manually open the door - no success. After a bit playing around I decided to try and open the boot - this opened at first press. I was going to try and get into the car through the boot but decided to press the key fob again and the doors opened . They have opened ever since but it is a bit worrying that this could happen to my other half who would not have a clue.

Thanks aabs I have been busy recently and not had time to search the forums - I just hope it doesn't happen again. To save me searching if it does where do you stick the key??I am bound to forget to read up before getting locked out again!!

Remove the cover on the passenger door handle and the lock will be there.

Cheers bumkin - after a bit poking around with the key I managed to remove the cover and yep there it was a keyhole - sorted

I don't know about the other half though - can forsee a great big scratch if the key slips whilst trying to remove the cover!!

Hi

I have just had this exact same problem on my i40. Doors wouldnt unlock (no reaction to my key presses) and after changing the battery still made no difference. On a hunch, I tried the boot and voila the whole thing came alive. I took the car out and had the same issue outside the shop where I was parked, so its a recurring fault.  A search on this issue has brought me here.

gando, can you please let me know what you found about this issue - was this fault fixed by the dealership? Sounds like my 13 plate i40 has the same problem as yours.  

Many thanks

Raj

Raj - It has never happened to me again so I have not taken it any further - yet!!   but I will tell the dealer the next time the car  is there - unless of course it becomes like your car in which case I would definitely head to the dealer straight away

Hi, 

I have had a similar issue where the key fob stopped working but the proximity detection was OK, meaning I could gain access by pressing the button on the door handle. A faulty body control module is to blame which has been on back order for two months and has just arrived. The car is going in next week to have this fitted and replacement roof rails (back order since March).

I will keep you posted

Michael

Hi, 

I have had a similar issue where the key fob stopped working but the proximity detection was OK, meaning I could gain access by pressing the button on the door handle. A faulty body control module is to blame which has been on back order for two months and has just arrived. The car is going in next week to have this fitted and replacement roof rails (back order since March).

I will keep you posted

Michael

Why do you need replacement roof rails Michael?  The reason I ask is because there's nothing much can go wrong with the roof rails unless they have been physically damaged somehow.  If it's because they appear to have risen a little and you can see daylight under them, you could fix that yourself in 5 minutes simply by slackening the fixings a touch and pressing the rails down properly before re-tightening the fixings.  

Also, this expression, 'On back order';  are these the dealer's words because I have read this quite a few times recently in regard to spare parts?  It really is a stupid, unnecessary expression as it means, quite simply, 'on order'.  This issue of waiting time for spares is wholly unacceptable from a global car maker and Hyundai are really pissing people off.  Nearly all other major manufacturers have a system in place whereby parts can be shipped from a central warehouse to a dealer within 24 hours, in many cases even if they have to come from mainland Europe.

Hyundai just haven't provided adequate resources in the UK to deal with the many niggling faults which develop on their cars due to poor quality control issues.  They hide behind their 5-year warranty, as if it confers reliability.  Unfortunately, many i40 buyers have found to their cost that reliability is not the model's strong suit and the aggravation caused when things go wrong frequently simply deters those owners from becoming repeat Hyundai customers.

They really do treat their customers appallingly.

Indalo

Hi Indalo,

the rails are being replaced to due to them lifting, which I agree is a little excessive and did explain to them that it is to do with the clips underneath but they took the decision to replace them. I didn't really want to try myself in case I damaged a clip or something and then wouldn't be able to claim. 

Totally agree regarding the lack of parts and reliability, I have far to many small issues with this car which is starting to niggle a little as you don't really expect to get these from a 26k car. I have owned the car since February and next week will be the 6th visit for a repair, although there are still issue that the dealer is unable to replicate i.e. lack of power (torque), bad rattle on dashboard, crashing stereo.....

The only saving grace is I do like the dealership and they normally deal with my warranty claims without fuss.  I have had many cars over the years and this is the first time I have ever purchased from the same dealership but I'm not sure my next car will be a Hyundai.

Michael