Paulq

I40 - Quality Of Drive/noise?

I recently bought a 63 plate i30 and find the road noise very intrusive, to be honest to the point where i'd consider swapping it if the i40 was quieter.

So - any i40 drivers care to share how it drives and as a comparator to the i30?

Thanks.

So - any i40 drivers care to share how it drives and as a comparator to the i30?

We have both models in this household and the i40 is fairly quiet, especially for a large car with a huge sunroof, a source of noise on many cars.  I'm surprised you find the i30 noisy as ours is as good as a Golf and better than many other small/medium euroboxes in my opinion.

Ignoring the extra bling in the premium edition of the i40 over the medium - range version of our i30, the build integrity of the i30 seems better to me than that of the i40 although my i40 seems to be holding up well, given the rough usage in my hands; I use it like a builder's van at times as estate cars are superfluous if all that space isn't put to good use.

Neither model is particularly quick but the i30 Blue is far more economical than the regular i40 to the tune of 10-15 mpg more, both cars driven in similar fashion.  If quick is near the top of the priority list, then one needs to look beyond Korea but I consider a 5-year or 7-year warranty is more valuable than the ability to blow the doors off the neighbours' Audis, Beemers, Insignias, Mondeos, etc.  

I note that you specifically mention road noise as the source of your irritation which surprises me as the Hankook tyres are not the worst by any means.  Perhaps you ought to take a test-drive in an i40 then you'll be able to judge and compare for yourself.

Indalo

Thanks for the reply that's really informative.  I have been looking at a couple of i40's and also a Golf (my other half has a Golf) before I bought the i30.  I would completely agree that, kit wise, the i30 blows the socks off most of its contemporaries but I'd say that the Golf is miles ahead in terms of the drive and cabin refinement.

The noise from the i30 came as a surprise to be honest as it wasn't something I picked up test driving it.  I came out of a Passat to get into the i30 and the VW is renowned as a super quiet car so maybe i am making an unfair comparison to begin with.  However the noise, especially at speed, from the i30 is something I find intrusive and I am not sure there's a lot I can do about it.

I am going to look at a couple of i40's today and hopefully get chance to have a whizz about in one.  I am also after an auto so will see what they are like.

Thanks again.

I am aware that one of the guys on the i30 owners club was also concerned about road noise in his i30 and remedied it to a large extent by changing from the original tyres (can't remember if they were Hankook or Khumo) to Continental.

I had a new i30 for a year and then managed to upgrade to an i40.  It has made my 66 mile drive to work so much easier as it is quieter and more comfortable.  The i30 is a very good car and many ways better built than the i40, but for motorway driving the i40 is brilliant.